CALLS NOT ALLOWED????

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

CALLS NOT ALLOWED????

Anyone have any idea why fido phone would not allow calls??? I have an old cell for my home phone. i am totally on top of my bills and owe nothing but today i can't call anyone. after i dial the number a message pops up saying calls not allowed???

my cell is an old cheap version but i haven't dropped it or used it or nothing werid happened to it and i am not able to use my phone at all.

Anyone have any idea why my phone would stop working? or how to fix it?

any advice much apprechiated

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

Re: CALLS NOT ALLOWED????

2 things to check, does your phone have service? do you see the fido alpha tag?  also does your phone show an actual signal bar?  the calls not allowed sometimes means your not connected to fidos network so check the 2 things i mentioned, secondly, you can go into the networks menu of your phone, choose manual network scan, choose fido (or rogers might display if you have a very old phone/sim card, but its still the same network so dont worry) and select it, see if your phone registers, it might need a few seconds and try again, otherwise you can try your fido sim in a different handset and see if it works, if calls are working then you might have a handset problem.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted

how do i check if i have fido service?? and what are alpha tags? i will check the fido network thing, if i can figure it out but i don't have bars on the signal.

Thanks

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

your phone displays FIDO when its connected to the fido network, if it has no carrier name its not connected to a network, all phones do this. bell, telus and rogers phones all work in a similar mannor. if u dont see a carrier name, you might have a problem with the handset, it might be in air plane mode, or there could possibly be a network problem in your area too, but im thinking more of a handset issue, or possibly your handset is not connected to the fido network, so try the network selection thing, all cellphone users should get familiar with this. also u did not mention what handset it was your using?
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted

I have not a clue what handset this is. when i got the plan they gave me a blackberry but i transferred the SIM to a low tech cell bought at walmart. i think it is a nokia but i am not sure and i have never had my screen say fido or anything. Wish i could give more info but i haven't a clue about any of this. i am starting to regret not keeping the blackberry and SIM together but i hate the smart phones.

thanks for the help, much apprechiated

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey mel1981!

A handset is the phone you are using.

Is the phone from Fido? Please note that if the phone is from another company, for it to work with your Fido SIM, you need to get it unlocked.

You may find more information on using a non-Fido device here:

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/phonewarranty/configure_unlocked_device_guide

If the phone is from Fido, I'd suggest going to a Fido store for assistance, it may be easier for you this way and they will be able to set up the phone for you.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 6