By the Minute - 30¢ vs. By the Month - Talk for 10¢

I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi,

I'm wondering what the main differences between the two prepaid plans are apart from the rate.

I'm currently on the By the Minute - 30¢ plan but I see all these announcements about the new By the Month - Talk for 10¢.

Both require a minimum $10 per month refill. Should I go with the new plan since it seems to be the same except for lower rates?

6 REPLIES 6
xzxzxzxzxzx
I'm a Participant Level 3

It's very misleading on the website. It's not 10c/min, as in the other 30c/min. It's 10$ for nothing, and then 10c/min. Meaning, whether you talk or not during the month, 10$ is deducted anyways.

A little math equation can help explain this better. Let's say T is number of minutes you talk in a month:

(10 + .10 x T)  > (.30 x T)  

or  T > 50

Meaning, in order for the 10c/min deal to be profitable, you need to talk more than 50 minutes per month, i.e. spend $15+. Or more than 100 minutes compared to the 20c/min rate. So if you talk less than 50 min/mo you're better off with the 30c/min rate. If you talk less than 100 min/mo, you're better off with the 20c/min.

And now they cancelled the 20c/min which was a sweet deal. I rushed in here as soon as I learned the bad news hoping to see some sort of a public disappointment, but people seem to be tricked by the 10c/min rate which appears lower. Fido used to be cool, and now they're becoming evil like the others. Bad Fido, Bad!

Bad Fido ????? .....who really controls Fido....lol

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

Share holders
Pandora
I'm Helpful Level 1

@FidoCustomer

You pay 10.75$ a month and are billed .10 for each call you make or receive on top of that.  I activated my prepaid on the 10$ a month plan with a 30$ credit minus 10.75$ the remaining credit is used up each time I make a call or recieve @.10 cents a min.

silentbuddha
I'm Qualified Level 1

quite interesting that they would create a 10$ month plan for 0.10 per min ...does that mean they plan on getting rid of 10$ a/t vouchers...or maybe it's easier to manage these kinds of plans in their system.....  my general rule is if it ain't broken...dont fix it...but in this case the rate is 1/3 that of the regualr 10$ a/t voucher...more minutes....

not as bad idea to switch...

They aren't very clear on their website, but a couple possible gotchas to watch out for.

1) the $0.10/minute 'plan' monthly cost is $10.75 including the 911 charge. While the minimum refill amount is $10, this will not be enough to keep your plan active for the month. You will have to have enough to cover the $10.75, in which case you will have to top up with the $20 voucher, at least initially. Then, if you have a balance remaining at the end of the month, if you top up again before your balance expires you can add the $10 minimum. But if your balance expires, you will have to start again with $20.

2) The $10.75 is the monthly fee for this plan. I am not sure if the airtime, billed at $0.10/minute comes out of this amount of if the $10.75 is simply the monthly charge and you have to pay separately for all usage.

The $0.30/minute plan was was a 'by the minute' plan, so there was never a monthly fee to have this plan. All money you put onto your account was applied as airtime (outside of things like 911, texting). I am not sure how the 'by the month' fees work, as I have never used them. Would be nice if Fido detailed this a little better.