Buying a phone from Korea

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 deeanaluo7
I'm a Participant Level 3

Buying a phone from Korea

I really want to upgrade my phone, and I am pretty much set on the new Galaxy S7. However, Fido does not carry the white colour or the recently launched pink gold that they sell in Korea. My friend is going to Korea next month and I've asked her to look at the phone for me. I am quite set on buying it since I am planning to move to Korea eventually, but I am curious to know if it will work with my Fido Sim even after the phone has been unlocked. I checked on both the fido website and the korean samsung website. This is what I got for the frequencies:

• 2G GSM

GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900

• 3G UMTS

B1(2100), B2(1900), B5(850)

• 3G TD-SCDMA

B34(2010), B39(1880)

• 4G FDD LTE

B1(2100), B2(1900), B3(1800), B4(AWS), B5(850), B7(2600), B8(900), B12(700), B17(700), B18(800), B19(800), B20(800), B25(1900), B26(800), B28(700)

• 4G TDD LTE

B38(2600), B39(1900), B40(2300), B41(2500)

It seems as though access to the internet won't be a problem; however, I am concerned about being able to make calls and text. I have heard that people were able to access LTE, but couldn't make calls or text. This sort of defeats the purpose of a phone...so can I get some input before I go ahead and purchase the phone? Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: Buying a phone from Korea

@deeanaluo7 wrote:

I really want to upgrade my phone, and I am pretty much set on the new Galaxy S7. However, Fido does not carry the white colour or the recently launched pink gold that they sell in Korea. My friend is going to Korea next month and I've asked her to look at the phone for me. I am quite set on buying it since I am planning to move to Korea eventually, but I am curious to know if it will work with my Fido Sim even after the phone has been unlocked. I checked on both the fido website and the korean samsung website. This is what I got for the frequencies:

• 2G GSM

GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900

• 3G UMTS

• 3G TD-SCDMA

B34(2010), B39(1880)

• 4G FDD LTE

B1(2100), B2(1900), B3(1800), B4(AWS), B5(850), B7(2600), B8(900), B12(700), B17(700), B18(800), B19(800), B20(800), B25(1900), B26(800), B28(700)

• 4G TDD LTE

It seems as though access to the internet won't be a problem; however, I am concerned about being able to make calls and text. I have heard that people were able to access LTE, but couldn't make calls or text. This sort of defeats the purpose of a phone...so can I get some input before I go ahead and purchase the phone? Thanks!

Hello Deeanaluo7,

Judging by those specifications, that phone would have only one of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G. However, it would have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for '3G' and LTE. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

I understand your concern is whether or not you will be able to make calls or send texts with that phone. Normally, calls (except voLTE or Wifi calling) and SMS would be transmitted via the 2G or '3G' networks. Depending on where you are located, not having one of the 2G bands/frequencies shouldn't really be a problem. After all, many of the other providers don't even have a 2G network anymore. That said, there are some places which are only covered by 2G. If you are located in one of those places, or intend on travelling to those places, then reception there might be spotty.

You noted you heard that people were able to access LTE, but couldn't make calls or text. Were those people using that particular version on Fido? Do you know what version of android the phones were using? There have been reports of users with Canadian Galaxy S7s having similar issues with connectivity. Could it have been an issue with the phone's firmware/software rather than an issue with compatible bands/frequencies? On paper (or computer screen) the specifications do not suggest that there would be a major issue with compatibility. Again, signal might be spotty in areas with only 2G, but otherwise, making/receiving calls or sending/receiving SMS shouldn't really be a problem.

**edit** You should note that there are (at least) three Korean versions: SM-G930S, SM-G930K, SM-G930L (see here or here). If those other people had the CDMA version of the phone, it could explain why they couldn't make calls or text.**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 2
MVP
MVP
Solution

Re: Buying a phone from Korea

@deeanaluo7 wrote:

• 2G GSM

GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900

• 3G UMTS

• 3G TD-SCDMA

B34(2010), B39(1880)

• 4G FDD LTE

• 4G TDD LTE

Hello Deeanaluo7,

Judging by those specifications, that phone would have only one of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G. However, it would have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for '3G' and LTE. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

I understand your concern is whether or not you will be able to make calls or send texts with that phone. Normally, calls (except voLTE or Wifi calling) and SMS would be transmitted via the 2G or '3G' networks. Depending on where you are located, not having one of the 2G bands/frequencies shouldn't really be a problem. After all, many of the other providers don't even have a 2G network anymore. That said, there are some places which are only covered by 2G. If you are located in one of those places, or intend on travelling to those places, then reception there might be spotty.

You noted you heard that people were able to access LTE, but couldn't make calls or text. Were those people using that particular version on Fido? Do you know what version of android the phones were using? There have been reports of users with Canadian Galaxy S7s having similar issues with connectivity. Could it have been an issue with the phone's firmware/software rather than an issue with compatible bands/frequencies? On paper (or computer screen) the specifications do not suggest that there would be a major issue with compatibility. Again, signal might be spotty in areas with only 2G, but otherwise, making/receiving calls or sending/receiving SMS shouldn't really be a problem.

**edit** You should note that there are (at least) three Korean versions: SM-G930S, SM-G930K, SM-G930L (see here or here). If those other people had the CDMA version of the phone, it could explain why they couldn't make calls or text.**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 2