Bring back BlackBerry

I'm a Participant Level 2 Bigpete
I'm a Participant Level 2

Bring back BlackBerry

Hello, I am loyal customer with Fido and I've been with BlackBerry for 7 years. The fact that Fido doesn't carry BlackBerry phones, is unreal. While the other competitors like (Telus, Rogers, Bell,Virgin Mobile) all carry BlackBerry's, Fido prefers to keep mainstream phones, like iPhones, Android, Windows which to me are KID phones. Fido wants to competitive? The should bring in BlackBerry phones. FIDO you have customers who want BlackBerry phones. And no, I won't take the offer that Fido gave me, the iPhone 5S for free, I want  a real phone not  a plastic phone. If I want a plastic phone, I'll go to the toy store and get one. So Fido, it was nice while it lasted, I can't wait till my contract is up so I can these words " GOODBYE". And I am sure, other BlackBerry customers feel the same, and want to leave.

FIDO you disappoint me.

Upset long time customer

Accepted Solution

Re: Bring back BlackBerry

Thank you for your feedback Bigpete!

Rest assured that your comments are important to us. We strive to provide you with the best customer service while choosing the best combination of price and services that respects your budget and that specifically meets your needs.

As much as I'd love to give you more details about upcoming devices, we cannot comment on devices we have not yet announed. If we do end up carrying other Blackberry devices, we'll definitely make sure to let everyone know right here on Fido.ca Smiley Just keep an eye on our website! 

Hope this helps!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 39
I'm a Contributor Level 2 slimmer1972
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Although it would be nice to have a better selection of smartphones, Fido is a subsiduary of Rogers.  Fido's rates are cheaper and the trade off to that is less selection.  Do people have an issue seeing that?

Complaining that a sister company doesn't carry every smartphone manufacturer (why not carry Huawei, Xiaomi, Lenovo as well?) is silly. 

Another reason: Blackberry's marketshare in Canada is something like 15%, which is a drop of 5% from the year before = less people were choosing it.  Fido has chosen to carry popular and less-expensive options for the less-discerning customer.

Yet one MORE reason:  Blackberry's target market is the business sector and that is why the Big 3 carry Blackberry.  Fido is NOT here to service the business community.

Want a Blackberry? Cancel your Fido contract.  Join Rogers.  Or someone else.  Pretty easy, really.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 39
I'm a Contributor Level 2 sal_67

ok, smart guy...then why do virtually all of fido's competitors carry blackberry phones?

if i wanted to pay $50 a month for 200MB, i would have switched to rogers a long time ago.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 39
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

Hi Slimmer1972,

Your statement is lame. In terms of market share in Canada, do you think Windows phone is greater than BlackBerry's? Even though market share of Blackberry is shrinking (like 10% for example), how much stronger Windows phone is? Don't get me wrong, I love Microsoft. Windows phone is at least better than iPhone but still not as great as BlackBerry 10 smatphones.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 39

Hey sal,

Smart guy?   Well, I guess we're keeping this civil.

"...virtually all of fido's competitors"? 

Virgin?  They have the Classic

Solo?  None.

Chatr?  Zero.

Koodo?  Nada. 

So...there's that, I guess.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 39
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

You forget Fido's competitor : Mobilicity. They carry BlackBerry Passport, Classic and even older model Z30. Their plan (everything is unlimited) is way cheaper than Fido.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 39

@RickyTang - thanks for qualifying my response as "lame".

Windows market share was 2%, where Blackberry was 15%. But I don't see your point. Only a percentage of people want Blackberry and Fido carries the models that the vast majority want. 

Ok, Mobilicity carries Blackberry = less than half of Fido's competitors. I stand but my statement.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 39
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

You still don't get my point. Fido totally took out "BlackBerry" and replaced it with "Windows phone". Do those 2% of Windows Phone buyers represent vast majority but 15% of BlackBerry fans are minority? What do Fido think? Even though Mobilicity is a small player, they support our home technology and Canadian company, better than other traitors out there.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 39

Oh, I get your point but you don't understand that you're barking up the wrong tree.  Fido stocks phones that are either really cheap, fun and/or are trending. 

Blackberry is a business oriented phone. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 23 of 39
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

Well, people still have deep-rooted mind that Blackberry is only a business oriented phone. It was true for BlackBerry Legacy devices. However, since BlackBerry reinvented its OS to BlackBerry 10 in 2013, BlackBerry 10 smartphone has become all-round pocket PC that gives users not only productivity, but also social stuff, fun stuff and entertainment. That is why you see, for example, Z30 and Passport are having dual speakers, 4 microphones and stunning high resolution screen. Z10 is my personal phone. I have more fun using it than my previous iPhone. The Time Shift mode of camera in BlackBerry 10 smartphone is unique, giving me a lot of fun for taking the best moment of family pictures. I can run not only productive apps from BlackBerry World but also fun apps (all Android apps) from Google Play Store . Indeed, BlackBerry 10 smartphones can do a lot more than the best-selling phones. BB10 phone is way better than Android phone because it can run Android apps on a more secure system. Blackberry 10 smartphones are not trending because people (including the guru in Fido) do not know its features.  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 24 of 39

You see, when I bought the Z10 when it first came out, I thought it was great as well.  Except the fact that it didn't have available apps like iPhone or Android.  So I returned it for an S4. 

Blackberry phones don't necessarily "do a lot more than the best-selling phones" and aren't "way better than Android phone (sic) because it can run Android apps on a more secure system".  It has to do with personal preference. 

You prefer Blackberry.  Many others do.

Many prefer Apple, Samsung, etc.  Many others do as well.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 25 of 39
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

I have been with Fido for 11 years. Customers are asking Fido to bring back BlackBerry for a long time but Fido never listens to its customers. I kept waiting for Fido's response but yet to see any. Fido takes care of only customers who wants China phone - iPhone or Korean phone-Samsung. I am done with Fido officially. This is my final login today. In two days, I will bring my two lines over to Wind Mobile who supports BlackBerrys. Official goodbye to Fido.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 26 of 39

Hi RickyTang.

It's really unfortunate to see that you decided to leave FIdo.

I can maybe suggest to purchase an unlocked Blackberry and use it on the FIdo services.

I do wish we could offer you this device, but we can only offer what's currently available.

We would be more than happy to keep you as a customer, hope you change your mind Smiley

Take care.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 27 of 39
I'm a Contributor Level 1 mkip
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Ricky - this post is great. It tells Fido that people care about Blackberry, and that they will leave Fido if they don't respond to their customers. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 28 of 39
I'm a Contributor Level 1 mkip
I'm a Contributor Level 1

FidoKenny - 

"I do wish we could offer you this device, but we can only offer what's currently available.

Blackberry devices ARE available. But it appears that Fido simply chooses not to offer them. Why? We can only guess.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 29 of 39
I'm a Contributor Level 2 sal_67

fido is simply choosing to ignore blackberry. unbelievable that you carry windows phones, but not blackberry. there is absolutely no excuse for that **bleep**.

i'll never get an iphone. EVER! i refuse to be a sheep.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 30 of 39