Bring Your Own Hotspot Device

SOLVED
biggaboy
I'm a Participant Level 2

For the bring your own hotspot device plan (https://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/lte-hotspots), would FIDO just provide a sim card for the device? I'm not too sure on how this would work. Thank you.

EDIT: also I would like to know what bands it uses

Accepted Solution

Re: Bring Your Own Hotspot Device

Solved by MVP MVP

@biggaboy wrote:

For the bring your own hotspot device plan (https://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/lte-hotspots), would FIDO just provide a sim card for the device? I'm not too sure on how this would work. Thank you.

For the Bring Your Own Hotspot Device you will need to purchase a SIM from Fido and the device should have these bands.

LTE (1700/2100, 2600MHz)

HSPA (850, 1900 MHz)

View solution in context
8 REPLIES 8
KAPABLE-K
MVP

@biggaboy wrote:

For the Bring Your Own Hotspot Device you will need to purchase a SIM from Fido and the device should have these bands.

LTE (1700/2100, 2600MHz)

HSPA (850, 1900 MHz)

@KAPABLE-K wrote:

@biggaboy wrote:

LTE (1700/2100, 2600MHz)

HSPA (850, 1900 MHz)

Hello Biggaboy,

Welcome to the forums!

If you're bringing your own hotspot device -- as with any mobile device -- the more compatible bands/frequencies the device has, the better likelihood of coverage. The above frequencies are the ones listed for the ZTE MF970 Rocket Mobile Hotspot (from Fido's website).

Hotspot 1.jpg

Screen capture taken from here.

We are awaiting verification of those specifications, though. Elsewhere on the Fido website 700 MHz is also listed as a compatible frequency for that device.

Hotspot 2.jpg

Screen capture taken from here

For the full list of compatible bands and frequencies you can refer here. Coverage would depend on the bands/frequencies of your surrounding towers. You can get an idea of the bands/frequencies supported by your surrounding towers here

**edit** If you're enquiring about how the flexible data plan works, your monthly charge would be determined according to how much data you use. If you use less than 1Gb, then you would get charged $15. However, if you go over the 1Gb you will get charged $25 (no matter how much over the 1Gb ~ but less than 3Gb). Similarily, if you go over the 3Gb you will get charged $35. After you exceed the 5Gb, you will get charged $10 for every additional Gb. All these charges would be for your current billing cycle. The following cycle would revert back to the $15 for 1Gb unless you exceed 1Gb, etc.**

Hope this helps! Smiley

Cheers

biggaboy
I'm a Participant Level 2

Would this device https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00B5SZHFE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AH0M7YKYO9ACS&psc=1 be compatible with the mobile hotspot plan?

@biggaboy wrote:

Would this device https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00B5SZHFE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AH0M7YKYO9ACS&psc=1 be compatible with the mobile hotspot plan?

Hello again,

If the specifications of that device are the ones posted by Marc Boucher on August 6, 2015:

4g lte cat4 fdd 800/900/1800/2100/2600mhz (lte b1 b3 b7 b8 b20)
3g hsdpa/hsupa/umts/wcdma 850/900/1900/2100 mhz (wcdma b1 b2 b5 b8)
2g gsm/gprs/edge 850/900/1800/1900mhz

then that device would have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, that device would only have one compatible band/frequency for LTE, band 7 or 2600 MHz. While the device should work on the LTE network, coverage would depend on the bands/frequencies of your surrounding towers.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Why would you need GSM ~ EDGE (2G) ~ on band 5 (850MHz) and/or band 2 (1900MHz) on a hotspot device?

@KAPABLE-K wrote:

Why would you need GSM ~ EDGE (2G) ~ on band 5 (850MHz) and/or band 2 (1900MHz) on a hotspot device?

Hello,

Regardless of how useful you think GSM would be for a hotspot device, if you search on Google for LTE hotspot specifications, you'll find many LTE hotspot devices include GSM compatibility.

More to the point, I didn't post the above to include the GSM bands/frequencies, I posted because your post did not include bands 12 or 17 (700 MHz). Do you not agree that a device including 700 MHz could be useful possibly even beneficial?

Cheers

If you did not post the above to include the GSM details then why say the more compatible frequencies the better and point to a post that list every band/frequency for Fido including GSM, that means you are implying that if the hotspot device has the GSM bands/frequency its better which it totally useless because we are talking about a hotspot device for internet not a phone.

If I forgot a relative band/frequency just say so there was no need to undermine my reply and post a screen shot of the ZTE MF970 Rocket Mobile Hotspot and saying the info I posted is for that device. It might very well be the same info for that device but it’s the same exact frequency that Fido uses for data hence why the device also has the same frequency.

**Edited for language

@KAPABLE-K wrote:

... why say the more compatible frequencies the better and point to a post that list every band/frequency...

Hello Kapable,

I said that because having 4 of the compatible LTE bands is better than having only one or two of them. I apologise if I was being lazy and not specifically listing them.

Again, regardless of how useless you may think it is, many of the LTE hotspot devices include GSM compatibility.

KAPABLE-K wrote:

That was just a **bleep** move on your part.

I posted the screen captures because there is a discrepancy in the information provided by Fido which they need to verify. It had nothing to do with you!! This community isn't about you (or me) it's about providing the proper information to the community.

I will not be engaging you with this matter anymore.

Cheers

@biggaboy I apologise for these posts, but I hope you found the information you're looking for