Bought a travel pack for Europe, nothing happened

adamlane
I'm a Participant Level 2

I bought an international travel pack before coming to Europe which was to be activated last Monday. I was supposed to get a text saying it was activated and I was now able to use my phone. I never got that text. I did get several promotional texts trying to sell me a travel pack which I ignored, since I had already paid for one. I'm still afraid to use my phone, but there are situations it is crucial. How much is this costing me? I tried to find out through My Account whether it was in fact set up, but the "add-on" section has been inaccessible all week (the pop-up window says it's embarrassed and gives me a number to call *234 which I tried but it's not in service)

Does anyone work at Fido? How do I get service? I have been a customer for 10 years but I can't get through to anyone. I'm tempted to cancel my plan altogether. I can't imagine this is a good way to retain customers

6 REPLIES 6
LL58
I'm a Participant Level 1

Just back from Spain with similar experience.  I did get the texts from FIDO saying I was connected but every number I tried to call all resulted in a message saying the number did not exist!  Very frustrating.  Forutunately  my wife's Koodo plan worked fine so we could use her phone to call home.  Waste of money and would not recommend.    

@LL58 wrote:

Just back from Spain with similar experience.  I did get the texts from FIDO saying I was connected but every number I tried to call all resulted in a message saying the number did not exist!...   

Hello LL58,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you had troubles with your phone on your trip. Were you trying to call local numbers or dial internationally? What number format did you use?

Were you aware that there are slight differences when dialing European numbers vs North American numbers? For instance, if dialing a European number with 0XX area code, you need to include the preceding zero if you are calling from within the same country. On the other hand, if you're calling from a different country, you need to dial the international access code (00 for Europe) + country code + area code (without preceding zero) + phone number. Alternatively, you could replace the international access code with the plus symbol.

If you were trying to dial numbers in your contacts, it's possible the numbers didn't exist because the international access code wasn't included. Do you store your phone contact numbers with the full international dialing format? Most people do not. I only got in the habit of doing so when I was back and forth to Ireland a couple of years back.

Other considerations: Are you sure your phone was compatible with the mobile networks in Spain? Most of the bands/frequencies in Europe are not compatible with those in North America. The one common band/frequency is band 7 or 2600MHz. Since it is one if the LTE bands/frequencies, you would not be able to make calls using that network.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi @adamlane & welcome to the Community!

Did you add the travel pack yourself through our self-serve, or was it added by a rep? In either case, an e-mail confirmation would have been sent to you.

That said, let's take a look at your account! I'll send you a private message.

Talk to you soon. Smiley

adamlane
I'm a Participant Level 2

I added it through My Account on fido.ca. It was in the Add-on section. I redeemed FidoDollars for it. I never got a confirmation email. I checked. I got a bill the same day, but I suspect that's unrelated.

Is this related to the website glitch?

Hey @adamlane

We got your message, we're replying to your PM Smiley ­.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to add an update on this thread that Fido Roam is now available! Get all the details here.