Blackberry Z10 US Roaming issue

SOLVED
yogateacher
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hi! I have a BlackBerry Z10 that was previously on Rogers. It works great on Fido except for US Roaming. Couldn't connect in US. Any ideas? TIA Smiley

Accepted Solution

Re: Blackberry Z10

Solved by Former Moderator FidoMaria

Thanks for that @Cawtau, I had missed the fact that his phone was previously stolen.

@yogateacher Often when a phone is stolen, we add a block to the account that would prevent you from roaming in North America. This may be the cause!

View solution in context
10 REPLIES 10
FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Welcome to the community @yogateacher! Smiley

Did you ever a chance to test out the roaming while you had it with Rogers before? Did you manually choose the roaming network while in the U.S. as while?

yogateacher

Long story short my original Fido phone was stolen in August. This hand me down Rogers Z10 belonged to a family member that to my knowledge has not had any US roaming problems. I chose manually roaming while in US as I paind for a roaming package. It was connecting to AT&T for emergency calls only. The Internet connection was working. Thanks FidoTerry!

Hi @yogateacher!

Was it the cellular data that was working, or were you connected to WiFi? Also, did you check if your phone was compatible with the AT&T network?

yogateacher

Hi@FidoMaria,
The phone was connected to the airport WiFi. Both manual and automatic connection with the local network were indicating AT&T and Verizon. None of them were connecting to give me access to calling and texting. I only had access to emergency calling on AT&T. I am not sure how to check the network compatibility though. TIA

@yogateacher wrote:
Hi@FidoMaria,
... I am not sure how to check the network compatibility though...

Hello Yogateacher,

Welcome to the community!

If the phone was purchased from Rogers, then it would have all of the AT&T compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, the phone would have four of the compatible bands/frequencies.

@yogateacher wrote:
Hi@FidoMaria,
...Both manual and automatic connection with the local network were indicating AT&T and Verizon. ...

AT&T would be the better option. Currently, Verizon is still using CDMA for their voice network which would not be compatible. It likely showed Verizon as available because the phone has two compatible LTE bands/frequencies.

Had you enabled roaming on the phone? 

Had you previously travelled to the US with your previous phone? You noted it was stolen. Were any blocks on your account set in place after it was stolen?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Thanks for that @Cawtau, I had missed the fact that his phone was previously stolen.

@yogateacher Often when a phone is stolen, we add a block to the account that would prevent you from roaming in North America. This may be the cause!

yogateacher

@Cawtau and @FidoMaria

My Z10 phone was stolen in August and I had a block on the account. However, I assume that when I purchased the new SIM card and activated the "hand me down" Z10 the the block was lifted. I called prior to my trip to add the Roaming package and there was no mention about a block. How can I find out? TIA

@yogateacher I'll send you a PM so we can check out your account.

Talk to you soon!

yogateacher

@FidoMaria

Looking forward for your message. What kind of PM? Email, text?
yogateacher

@FidoMaria - got the message. Waiting patiently Smiley for a solution.