Blackberry Torch - how to activate data?

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 2 LesDrive
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Blackberry Torch - how to activate data?

Ok...so...the question is: does Fido provide BIS (Blackberry Internet Service)? 

Or the people at Customer Service are too young to know about this? This is the 3rd time I called and spoke to a person, who just didn`t get it, what Blackberry Data Plan I need - when I already have a data plan that works with my Samsung phone.

I did the best I could to "educate" the person by explaining that there is regular data plan and there is Blackberry Data Plan. With the regular data plan, you can`t get you older Blackberry devices (prior to OS10) to access internet and because of that, the network needs to activate the BIS for my device. 

For about 15 minutes we went back and forth on this...I was even told to call Blackberry for this ....(whaaaat???)... eventually I gave up!

I don`t remember this being SO difficult with Rogers when I was with them - within 10 min, my Torch was good to go.  

One of my friends is still using a BB 9900 ... with Fido ... so, that means that Fido provides BIS.

Then, I guess, my only dilema is how am I going to actually make the Customer Rep undestand this, if they have no clue about BIS?

Accepted Solution

Re: Blackberry Torch - how to activate data?

Hi @LesDrive!

All of our data plans are now compatible with both regular smartphones and Blackberry phones (prior to the OS10).

Hope this helps. Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 16
Former Moderator FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Solution

Hi @LesDrive!

All of our data plans are now compatible with both regular smartphones and Blackberry phones (prior to the OS10).

Hope this helps. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 16

@FidoMaria wrote:

Hi @LesDrive!

Hope this helps. Smiley

Hi ... and thanks for the reply. 

So, based on what you are saying, all I have to do just insert the SIM card in my Torch, turn it ON and wait for it to pick up the signal?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 16

Hey @LesDrive

That's right! Though we cannot fully guarantee all of services to work at 100% on an unlocked device, you shouldn’t have any trouble connecting to a data session with our current plans and your Blackberry. Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 16

@FidoPierre wrote:

Hey @LesDrive

That's right! Though we cannot fully guarantee all of services to work at 100% on an unlocked device, you shouldn’t have any trouble connecting to a data session with our current plans and your Blackberry. Smiley 

Ok, so i switched the SIM card to Torch. I got 3 bars of signal and edge next to them. So... ok. There is internet connection but... when I open Blackberry World, I get an error: Can not get new token due to device offline state. Error ID: 40760

The error seems to be due to the fact that I can not register the device to the network even thought under Mobile Networks it shows Fido, and I have edge next to signal strength indicator. Also, the phone is suppose to show the Blackberry icon when connected as opose to 2G, 3G, GPRS, edge or EDGE.

I think, because the phone is not connected to BB server, it can not update its Host Routing Table... And because of that, I can`t use BB World nor BBM... Also, certain other apps don`t work at all unless I have the WiFi on. Some apps give me the message: You are currently on a service plan that does not support this application. Please connect to WiFi or contact your service provider to upgrade your data plan

So, if I call the Customer Service, will they be able to sort this out? 

Thanks

Edited to ad:

Also, I`m not able to set up email account(s). The message I`m getting is: your device had a problem connecting to the sever  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 16
Former Moderator FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Is it your BBM or is it the BIS not working? If it's your BIS, we may need to send you a PM so can check things out. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 16

@FidoTerry wrote:

Is it your BBM or is it the BIS not working? If it's your BIS, we may need to send you a PM so can check things out. 

The BIS is not working. And since that is not working, the BBM is not working, BB World can`t ID me and some apps are giving me the message I just mentioned in my earlier post.   

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 16
Former Moderator FidoCatherine
Former Moderator

Hi LesDrive

I'll send you a PM so we can check this out !

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 16
I'm a Contributor Level 2 NicolasJ

@LesDrive have you tired to registering the service books & or the host routing table, because when you do you should get an email, saying your BlackBerry device has been registered to the network. Hope you can get it up & working soon

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 16

@NicolasJ wrote:

@LesDrive have you tired to registering the service books & or the host routing table, because when you do you should get an email, saying your BlackBerry device has been registered to the network. Hope you can get it up & working soon

Hi,

yes, I already did that a few times. I sent in to register the Host Routing Table but no response yet. Been trying that for the past 2 days. I can`t register Service books because for that I need to set up an email account but because I don`t have a BIS, I can`t set up an email account

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 16

@FidoMaria wrote:

Hi @LesDrive!

Hope this helps. Smiley

I`m not sure WHY your response was "accepted" as a solution... because there is no solution. The only solution in this case is for Fido to support BIS - which probably happened at some point in the past - but as it stands right now, there is absolutely no BIS plan for Blackberry devices running OS6 and/or OS7.

BTW, for those devices, it takes a bit more than just put the SIM card in and reboot the device ...  yes, you get data connection (3G or edge) but that`s it! If there is no BIS, you can`t register your device to the network, if you can`t register to  the network you can`t update your Host Routing Table.... can`t get your Service books... tokens... can`t use BBM... can`t even set up an email account!

So...yeah. Your response its pretty far from being a solution....

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 16

We're working on helping you with this in PM @LesDrive , we'll figure it out together! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 16
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Omg a blackberry torch that still works!!!! I think I went thru at least 3 of those when they were actually a relevant device. Now I'm not sure why anyone would bother with one. May as well break out a Motorola Razer
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 16
Former Moderator FidoMaria
Former Moderator

@Proac Motorola Razr's were pretty cool back in the days! Wink

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 16
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

@FidoMaria Actually yes they certainly were a cutting edge smartphone at the time. I'm old enough to remember the huge bag phones installed in my car and the big Motorola handsets featured in A Night at the Roxbury. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 16