Blackberry Torch - how to activate data?

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Blackberry Torch - how to activate data?

Ok...so...the question is: does Fido provide BIS (Blackberry Internet Service)? 

Or the people at Customer Service are too young to know about this? This is the 3rd time I called and spoke to a person, who just didn`t get it, what Blackberry Data Plan I need - when I already have a data plan that works with my Samsung phone.

I did the best I could to "educate" the person by explaining that there is regular data plan and there is Blackberry Data Plan. With the regular data plan, you can`t get you older Blackberry devices (prior to OS10) to access internet and because of that, the network needs to activate the BIS for my device. 

For about 15 minutes we went back and forth on this...I was even told to call Blackberry for this ....(whaaaat???)... eventually I gave up!

I don`t remember this being SO difficult with Rogers when I was with them - within 10 min, my Torch was good to go.  

One of my friends is still using a BB 9900 ... with Fido ... so, that means that Fido provides BIS.

Then, I guess, my only dilema is how am I going to actually make the Customer Rep undestand this, if they have no clue about BIS?

Accepted Solution

Re: Blackberry Torch - how to activate data?

Hi @LesDrive!

All of our data plans are now compatible with both regular smartphones and Blackberry phones (prior to the OS10).

Hope this helps. Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 16
Highlighted

@FidoMaria wrote:

Hi @LesDrive!

All of our data plans are now compatible with both regular smartphones and Blackberry phones (prior to the OS10).

Hope this helps. Smiley

I`m not sure WHY your response was "accepted" as a solution... because there is no solution. The only solution in this case is for Fido to support BIS - which probably happened at some point in the past - but as it stands right now, there is absolutely no BIS plan for Blackberry devices running OS6 and/or OS7.

BTW, for those devices, it takes a bit more than just put the SIM card in and reboot the device ...  yes, you get data connection (3G or edge) but that`s it! If there is no BIS, you can`t register your device to the network, if you can`t register to  the network you can`t update your Host Routing Table.... can`t get your Service books... tokens... can`t use BBM... can`t even set up an email account!

So...yeah. Your response its pretty far from being a solution....

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 16
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

We're working on helping you with this in PM @LesDrive , we'll figure it out together! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 16
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Omg a blackberry torch that still works!!!! I think I went thru at least 3 of those when they were actually a relevant device. Now I'm not sure why anyone would bother with one. May as well break out a Motorola Razer
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 16
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

@Proac Motorola Razr's were pretty cool back in the days! Wink

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 16
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

@FidoMaria Actually yes they certainly were a cutting edge smartphone at the time. I'm old enough to remember the huge bag phones installed in my car and the big Motorola handsets featured in A Night at the Roxbury. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 16
Highlighted

Actually I did just that!

Dusted off my old Razr V3 .... put in the SIM card, and it seems to work....except the WAP.

I have to review those settings

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 16