Blackberry Problems - Data

SOLVED
ShawnK
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hi all, been getting this issue for a while, not sure what to make of it. Numerous Fido call centre reps have had various levels of sucess in fixing the issue.

Background - Using a Blackberry Bold 9900 for nearly 2 years now, no issues previously

First Problem - Wake up one morning, no emails on phone (which is kind of strange because usually get spam emails right at least). Then over span of about 3 days I received no outside emails, but did receive nearly 10 emails from Fido "confirming my account changes + emailing me my new terms of service". 

I instantly think either an employee made a mistake or my account is hacked, so I call into Fido (multiple  times after receiving notices) and most reps tell me "nope we can not see any changes no idea why you got email". One rep suggests maybe Fido is testing/updating network, and one rep offers a theory as to what is going on.

Theory - Because previous week I had inserted my Fido SIM into an Android phone, maybe system is removing BIS (Blackberry Internet Server) and is unable to re-add

They created a ticket, escalated it, and after a few days device seems to return to normal

Second Problem - Similar to first, but now a new twist. I have received about 20 TXT messages from Fido now indicating "please stand by as we initiate your Blackberry server this could take up to 3 hours". I keep getting this message repeatedly as system (network switch) seems to be trying. But in meanwhile I now have no data at all. 

Called back and reps (incl tech) say they see no memo as to what the first rep changed so they dont know what to do!

Any help (things I could check, or what number is second tier tech since i think this is a Fido network issue)

Accepted Solution

Re: Blackberry Problems - Data

Solved by I'm Experienced Level 3
This is correct, and is normal. I switch between a Bold and an Android regularly and each and every time I get an email confirming the changes. Fido automatically blocks BIS service unless you're using a legacy BlackBerry, because carriers have to pay a royalty for each user accessing BIS. This is actually a very innovative and consumer-friendly system Fido has implemented, rather than force users to change plans for each device. One of the reasons I am glad I got the BB version of my plan from the beginning...and btw the way Fido automatically adds and removes BIS is actually the same thing WIND does too. Miles ahead of BELL's anti-consumer systems which literally force you to different plans each time you switch devices to and from BB.
View solution in context
4 REPLIES 4
Roskov
I'm Qualified Level 1

When you put the sim in an android phone, a code gets added to your account called "blackberry suspend". I don't know the exact technical purpose of this tho. When it was added to your account, you got the email telling you a "change" was made. This doesn't affect your service at all. When you put your sim back in the bb phone, the code should have been removed automatically and you would have received another change was made email.
This is all regarding the 1st issue. I don't have acces to your account but i'm fairly sure the code to suspend blackberry services was the "change" made to your account.
I have no idea what the second issue might be, you would have to ask the agent to open a case or escalate it.
credmau5
I'm Experienced Level 3

This is correct, and is normal. I switch between a Bold and an Android regularly and each and every time I get an email confirming the changes. Fido automatically blocks BIS service unless you're using a legacy BlackBerry, because carriers have to pay a royalty for each user accessing BIS. This is actually a very innovative and consumer-friendly system Fido has implemented, rather than force users to change plans for each device. One of the reasons I am glad I got the BB version of my plan from the beginning...and btw the way Fido automatically adds and removes BIS is actually the same thing WIND does too. Miles ahead of BELL's anti-consumer systems which literally force you to different plans each time you switch devices to and from BB.
ShawnK
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Despite multiple reps claiming there is no network issue, it must be your phone data finally restored.

And I know for a fact its a Fid issue because AGAIN after data is restored I receive the generic email "Fido account change confirmartion" which again proves they are making changes to my account...

It really bothers me noone seems to know what is happening

Original_Lucy
I'm Qualified Level 1

So, even though you have moved your sim to an android and back, it doesn't seem like BIS is being re-instated. If that is what I understand, then ask the rep to add BIS back to your account. Technology is great, as we all know, but, sometimes automation fails. So, have them check that BIS is back on your account. I hope I understood correctly.

If you liked my answer or I solved your problem please click like or solved.