BlackBerry Q5 sim blocked message

GatineauRoss
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I got a BlackBerry Q5 smartphone from Fido last December (2014).  In August I started receiving text messages that my SIM card was blocked.  Therefore no access to the Fido cellular network, only emergency calls available. Verified that the SIM card was not the problem by using it in a second smartphone we have with Fido. Fido has reset the network on my BB Q5, the problem still occurred, twice more since August.  Finally took the phone into my local Fido retailer (September 18, 2015), where I got the phone and returned the phone to BlackBerry for repair.  Got the phone backed, "repaired" on October 6, 2015 and I am still getting the message "SIM card blocked".

Anyone know why?

Anyone know of a solution to this problem?

Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks.

Ross

13 REPLIES 13
Original_Lucy
I'm Qualified Level 1

Hmm, probably a dumb question, but, were you able to back it up and do a full factory reset and update the OS when this started happening? Just a shot in the dark here and curious as to what went down.

If you liked my answer or I solved your problem please click like or solved.
GatineauRoss

This was never raised as a solution when I was dealing the Fido Answers representatives.  So the short answer is no because I never tried your suggestion.  And as I indicated in my recent posts the device is out for repair again.

Thanks for the the update GatineauRoss.

Let us know once you get a reply from them Smiley

GatineauRoss

SBE Canada replaced the BB Q5.  This device seems to be working just fine.  I am so relieved to get my Q5 back.

Fido also adjusted my bill for the cost of the screen protector I lost through the first attempt by SBE Canada repairing the device.

Unfortunately the warranty on the new Q5 only runs for the length of time SBE Canada warrants their repair work, i.e. 3 months.  Hopefully this phone will have a long and happy life:)

It has taken a long time (since August when I began to have issues with the first Q5) to resolve the issue.   

GatineauRoss

Just received another text message from Fido.  "SIM Card Blocked.  The device is Networked locked.  Contact your service provider."

This is getting really annoying.

That is very strange, it's the first time I hear of this. 

@community: anyone has an idea on what could be causing this? 

GatineauRoss

Hi FidoMatt,

Someone from a BlacakBerry forum suggested that I replace the SIM card even though it works with another Fido phone we have.  Make sense?  Good idea?  Other suggestion(s)?  Thanks.

Ross

Hey @GatineauRoss 

It can't hurt for sure! Let us know how it goes.  Smiley

Anyone else in the Community has an idea?

GatineauRoss

I went into my Fido retailer's shop today and had them put in a new SIM card. 

Same result ...SIM card blocked.

I asked Fido to send it back to BlackBerry for repair and indicate that this the second time it has gone in for the same problem.

If the phone comes back to me unusable again, I give up and will switch manfacturers.

This is taking too much of my time, expenses - cost for gas, etc.

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

Could it be that it requires the PUK code, say after too many failed attempt at entering the pin/passcode to unlock the phone? Which could happen if the phone is in your pocket and accidentally presses buttons. Just throwing ideas here...

GatineauRoss

As I stated yesterday, I received a new SIM card and still only have access to emergency calls, no access to the Fido network.  So not sure your explanation for accidently pressing buttons would cover this situation, since this was all done at the Fido Retail shop at Les Promenades Gatineau.

Ultimately, what I hope will happen is that Fido will contact BlackBerry and arrange to provide me with a new BlackBerry.

Hey GatineauRoss,

keep us posted on the repair to see how it goes. Smiley

GatineauRoss

Hello FidoAlyson,

The phone was sent in for repair last Friday (Oct 9th) by Fido - Promenades Outaouais #5216 to Fido's repair service contrator, SBE Canada (Globel Electronic Service & logistics Management).  The repair service contractor was made aware that this is the second time the device has gone to their shop for the same issue.  I contacted SBE Canada directly (online) to ask that they simply replace the BlackBerry.  No response on that request.  Will update the forum when I have more information.