Billed for unanswered calls

SOLVED
wirechuck
I'm a Participant Level 3

I have had my Fido mobile number for 2 years and am still receiving multiple bill collector calls intended for the previous owner of the number.  I use an Android call blocker app (Extreme Call Blocker) and blacklist the numbers.  I hear the app hang up a blacklisted number part way through the first ring and I check that nothing is ever sent to voice mail.  Each month my bill is showing these "IRM" calls as 1:00 minute in length.  How can this be?  Fido customer service told me that only incoming calls that are answered or sent to voicemail will show up on my bill.

Accepted Solution

Re: Billed for unanswered calls

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Wirechuck,

Welcome to the community!

Technically, the calls are answered by the app.

Call Blocker.jpg

Taken from FAQ section in User's Manual here.

With regards to not being billed for the calls, I think the best you can hope for is the app (or phone) muting the ringer. However, muting the ringer does not prevent calls forwarded to voicemail.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
6 REPLIES 6
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Wirechuck,

Welcome to the community!

Technically, the calls are answered by the app.

Call Blocker.jpg

Taken from FAQ section in User's Manual here.

With regards to not being billed for the calls, I think the best you can hope for is the app (or phone) muting the ringer. However, muting the ringer does not prevent calls forwarded to voicemail.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

wirechuck

Fantastic help Cawtau - now I understand what is happening - I missed the FAQ section of the Extreme Call Blocker user guide

FidoKenny

Hey @wirechuck Smiley And welcome to the Community.

That's odd.

Did you ever see those charges on your bill before getting this app?

wirechuck

I have had this app installed since starting with Fido. - I think see where you are going though - maybe i have to disable the app then manually hang up or try a different blocking app and then see if the calls still show up on my bill.

@wirechuck 

My thoughts are that the app is blocking the calls by picking up the call and then immediately hanging up.

Your test would be able to determine if that's what's happening.

By the way, some phones have the option of blocking numbers directly from the settings; which phone are you using?

wirechuck

Thanks FidoKenny - I have a OnePlus and yes I can block calls directly which I am going to try