Bigger phone please

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

Bigger phone please

My contract runs out soon,,, Can fido please look into getting one of the bigger phones as a choice,, samsung mega, samsung note or Xperia z ultra....
I will have to move companies to get the phone I want at a reasonable price..

Accepted Solution

Re: Bigger phone please

Johntoon,

I made up those values based on the math you provided. and if you are worried about tax... just put 'plus tax' to the end of every number with a '$' sign....

I still stand by the benefits on going no contract with your wireless carrier. However I've also done some digging on competitor's website to find your point to view, and I must admit that you are absolutely correct! On your terms, the potential of a $800 'plus tax' phone for free is indeed tempting even with the slightly higher monthly payments of $16 'plus tax' per month. if you will entertain me, allow me to add that extra $5.4 from the 10% discount into the equation, cause I'm 100% sure it can be done. So let's make it a difference of $21.4 'plus tax'.

The simple fact is, even with a monthly difference of $21.4, which works out as $513.6 'plus tax' of savings over 2 years you will still be behind compaired to the competitor. In this regard I'll say go make the switch.

But here is a few words I'd like to part you with before you go, wisdom gathered from many Fido users on this forum.

1. should your phone breaks within the 2 year contract, you are out of a phone AND paying an expensive plan, your best bet is to pay off the remaining balance of that phone and start over with a new 2 year plan.

2. After two years, your phone will likely be obsileat comparied to the newest offerings, you start to wonder why you are paying $75/month when the competition is offering $54 for the exact same data and minutes.

3. After 2 years, you will tell yourself you can get a new phone through a new contract and repeat the process. However the monthly prices for the same data/mins on your $75 plan has risen to $90.

4. You will start to go on forums to complain how unfair the wireless companies are to you. When you have to pay $90 for a 2GB plan when others pay only pays $45 for a 6GB plan.

The reason why 'that guy' pays $45 'plus tax' for a 6GB plan is becuase they locked on to a plan in the past and stuck with it. never given up the plan even when offered a free $800 'plus tax' phone.

This cycle will only go worst and worst as the years pass. Do you see a change in this upwards montly cost pattern with our 'competitive' wireless industry?

You math are indeed correct to say you are getting a savings over these 2 years, but I implore you to look beyond and see the savings in the long run.

Good luck in whatever wireless path you choose in the future!
View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Many people myself included are forced to go elsewhere for the device they really want. Too bad cuz I've always been pleased with Fidos service but I'll be leaving too if this doesn't change.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 12
Highlighted

Does the price of the phone really justifly service. Buy the phone out write and put it on the fido network.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 12
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

@Proac wrote:
Many people myself included are forced to go elsewhere for the device they really want. Too bad cuz I've always been pleased with Fidos service but I'll be leaving too if this doesn't change.

Sign... so you perfer another provider with unproven service, has the 'big' phone you want while asking you for more monthly payments.

Well good luck! Fido is mainly for people looking for a good deal. If you want the new phones other carriers will definitely serve you better, since they charge more for the new phones.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Yes, how silly of me to expect Fido to carry the high end devices like the HTC One or the LG G2 or the Sony ZL etc etc. Don't try and feed me some line about higher prices being the excuse. Fido carries the priciest IPhone 5S, the Galaxy S4 and so on. Yes I do buy the devices I prefer outright but Fido really should improve their selection. Dump some of those bottom feeders they carry and sell devices people get excited for.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 12
Highlighted

Best case scenario is $500.00 plus tax..to buy the phone I want. Even if they give me the 10% discount per month which would be $5.40/month. ,,,which I doubt they will ... Because I am not a "new" customer,,,, a move to bell would give me the same "plan" I have now for $16/month more.. With the phone being free on the two year contract... It's basic math that all the cell companies count on us not doing,,,,
Like always,,, and I have been with all of them,,, they won't care until about a week after I am with the new company,,, then they offer the world...... And once again it will be too late..
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 12
Highlighted

Further too my point,,, technical support is bad enough without having a phone that I bring to fido myself,,, I could just imagine any conversation with a fido rep who has never been exposed to the phone I have..
Seems like a good way for the cell companies to wash their hands of tech support.... They all seem to be trying to get customers to bring their own phones,,,, the discounts for such are laughable,,, What is more laughable is that a great deal of people aren't seeing how this is filling up their bank accounts and emptying ours!!
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

I really don't see what's the big fuzz of just buying your phone direct from the manufactorier than a wireless carrier.

Johntoon's example is quite good in fact. You can buy the smartphone outright for $500, or move to another carrier, pay $16 more than Fido on a 2 year contract, and get a free phone.

Well $16 extra for 24 month contract is $384. Plus a $50 to unlock the phone is a total of $434.  You will pay $66 more if you buy your phone outright than signing with another carrier.

By purchasing your phone direct nets you some benefits too, such as no contract with any carrier, quickest access to your phone updates, tech support with the phone builder, not Fido.

Personal experience, I have got 2-4 phones from non Fido sources and all worked flawlessly, no need to set up anything. Granted I never use function like MMS and Video MMS, but phone numbers, SMS, voicemail, and data all work as soon as I put in my SIM card.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 12
Highlighted

Your numbers are a bit skewed.... 1. $500 is "best case". 2. You don't pay $50 to unlock it if you are with them,,, And you forgot about the good old tax man. So you're $66 difference is a little or rather a lot off the mark.. Ball park is $150 extra....up front... Not even taking into account the value of using their money for two years to finance their phone,, of which they are at least a little accountable for..
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3
Solution

Johntoon,

I made up those values based on the math you provided. and if you are worried about tax... just put 'plus tax' to the end of every number with a '$' sign....

I still stand by the benefits on going no contract with your wireless carrier. However I've also done some digging on competitor's website to find your point to view, and I must admit that you are absolutely correct! On your terms, the potential of a $800 'plus tax' phone for free is indeed tempting even with the slightly higher monthly payments of $16 'plus tax' per month. if you will entertain me, allow me to add that extra $5.4 from the 10% discount into the equation, cause I'm 100% sure it can be done. So let's make it a difference of $21.4 'plus tax'.

The simple fact is, even with a monthly difference of $21.4, which works out as $513.6 'plus tax' of savings over 2 years you will still be behind compaired to the competitor. In this regard I'll say go make the switch.

But here is a few words I'd like to part you with before you go, wisdom gathered from many Fido users on this forum.

1. should your phone breaks within the 2 year contract, you are out of a phone AND paying an expensive plan, your best bet is to pay off the remaining balance of that phone and start over with a new 2 year plan.

2. After two years, your phone will likely be obsileat comparied to the newest offerings, you start to wonder why you are paying $75/month when the competition is offering $54 for the exact same data and minutes.

3. After 2 years, you will tell yourself you can get a new phone through a new contract and repeat the process. However the monthly prices for the same data/mins on your $75 plan has risen to $90.

4. You will start to go on forums to complain how unfair the wireless companies are to you. When you have to pay $90 for a 2GB plan when others pay only pays $45 for a 6GB plan.

The reason why 'that guy' pays $45 'plus tax' for a 6GB plan is becuase they locked on to a plan in the past and stuck with it. never given up the plan even when offered a free $800 'plus tax' phone.

This cycle will only go worst and worst as the years pass. Do you see a change in this upwards montly cost pattern with our 'competitive' wireless industry?

You math are indeed correct to say you are getting a savings over these 2 years, but I implore you to look beyond and see the savings in the long run.

Good luck in whatever wireless path you choose in the future!
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 12