Best way to setup mobile connection for temporary visitors to Canada?

Wufai
I'm Qualified Level 3

Hello everyone! I need your help!

I have a few relatives coming over from overseas for 10 days. It is a special event so I want them to have mobile minutes and more importantly data so they can nagaviate the city.

when I go overseas I either use local sim cards or FidoRoam, Both pretty reasonible options in terms of data provided and cost.

But when I have relatives coming over for a few weeks I find Canada/Fido really lacks an afforadible option.

Currently I have 3 Fido sim card from exchanging Fido Dollars. I intented to use Fido prepay for 1 month at $70/2GB for these 3 cards. minutes are not important but I feel safer if they have 2GB on hand during their stay.

As I mention at the beginning I'm looking for affordable options. I thought $70/2GB/month is expensive but acceptable.  but during account setup I was told there is an surchange of $15 per line for 'setting up' the account. I think that is crazy on account of I ready paid $11.30 for the sim card (after tax).

The $15 is very vexing as my family visits very 1.5-2 years. meaning every time they visit I have to pay another $15. I've never seen this type of charges on other countries I visit.

so now my total for 1 line, 2GB/10days usage is now $96. 3 lines will cost me $288.

I want to ask the Fido communicty is there a better alternative to what I have planned? I need 1-2BG data for 10 days, will be staying in Ontario, phones are unlocked.

3 REPLIES 3
zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

@Wufai if they don't expect to use much minutes / SMS, perhaps the $15 / 3GB tablet plan would be an option for this year?

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@Wufai I would say a cheap prepaid line and Google maps have an offline feature so you can download the maps of the are they will be in and you have your navigation problem solved.

Hey @Wufai

I just wanted to add that the $15 transaction fee does not apply for these kinds of transactions on prepaid lines. 

Let us know if you need help with the activations of these SIM cards and I'll send you a PM so we can check it out together. Smiley