Asurion-WARNING

Asurion-WARNING

Asurion-WARNING

SOLVED
JoFa
I'm a Participant Level 1

Asurion-WARNING

I had my phone stolen on August 24th 2013, Asurion says on its website you get a replacement phone in 1-2 business days, well today as I write this is September 3. My phone is on back order and I was told it take 2-7 days for me to get one!!!! its been 10 days so far and it doesnt look promising. I pay 10$ extra a month and I have to wait this long?!!! plus I have to pay a 120$ replacement fee for my Samsung S3? This is bulls**t!!!! I shouldn't have to pay anything waiting this long, my cell phone is my lifeline for me and my 9 year old, I couldnt even get a loaner phone from fido because my phone wasnt being repaired lol how messed up is that!!!!!! This is not worth 10$ a month!!!!!

Accepted Solution

Re: Asurion-WARNING

Solved by Community Manager

Hey Gemor,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, and we certainly appreciate your feedback.

As noted in your agreement (http://www.phoneclaim.com/documents/Fido/Terms-Conditions.pdf), a service replacement fee will be charged depending on your device model. You can also find this information on  Fido.ca: http://www.fido.ca/web/content/catalogue/deviceprotection.

I'd also like to point out that a request can be done either online or by calling Asurion. Their toll free number for device replacement is 1-866-327-3399. Asurion opening hours are from 7:00am - 9:00pm every day. 1-2 business days for you to receive replacement device. 

If there’s anything we can assist you with at this time, please feel free to reach out to us online via Facebook.com/Fidomobile or Twitter @FidoSolutions.

I hope this helps.

View solution in context
26 REPLIES 26
amrit0088
I'm a Participant Level 2

I am really disappointed with asurion service i lost my phone on 30 august 2016 samsung galaxy s6 edge plus i filed request 2 days gone no reply i called them they said your request is denied because i selected wrong device because there was no option of edge plus so i selected galaxy edge i told dem the reason they said we will review any contact me back today 6 days have passed no response its completely garbage yesterday was my birthday i was without my phone why i am paying 13$ every month when i am getting treated like this

Hey @amrit0088 ,

Thanks for reaching out, sorry to hear about this! And Happy Birthday to you Smiley

Did you reach out to them to see what's going on ?

inigoe

Fido Moderator - Can you please clarify the provision "service replacement fee up to $200"?  How is this amount determined?

FidoKevin
Former Moderator

Hey @inigoe! How are you today? 

That's a great question, the service replacement fee depends on the type of phone you're replacing. Pricier phones will have a higher replacement fee. 

The replacement fee can be determined using this link

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with! Smiley

Yvad

I broke my phone , a nexus 5 taken on contract in November 2014. I called Asurion which was supposed to replace my phone, Nexus 5 or equivalent . they told me that they had only iphones4 and other old phones like mini galaxi ... I called Fido , they told me they can arrange me. What they did , they put me on another contract. They just told me the cellphone is basically 0, that i had to pay the remaining balance on the nexus5. so now I have to pay the amount of the broken phone and also the new phone . I would just advice anyone not to take the insurance because it's useless , and always pay attention dealing with them because they always hide things. For example , they are trying to credit me 73$ and make me pay 823.50 for the whole balance of both phones rather paying 413.45. Never say yes before calculating and see and always ask for the call transaction number

Hey Yvad

I'm sorry to hear about your experience - we certainly appreciate your feedback!

As noted in your agreement (http://www.phoneclaim.com/documents/Fido/Terms-Conditions.pdf), a service replacement fee is always charged, depending on your device model.

The details can also be found on  Fido.ca: http://www.fido.ca/web/content/catalogue/deviceprotection 

Below, it's indicated:"REplacement devices may be new or refurbished versions of the same or comparable model."

The only way to get a new phone through Fido is to do an early phone upgrade.

This means buying out the rest of your existing contract to become eligible for a new phone, with a new contract. 

If a new phone is purchased with a new contract, you should get a copy of this contract in store (if picked up in store) or by mail (if shipped out).  

If there’s anything we can assist you with at this time, please feel free to reach out to us online via Facebook.com/Fidomobile or Twitter @FidoSolutions.

Piradical

Got talked into insurance for the first time ever, and accidentally dropped my s5 on day8 of ownership.  Was grateful i did, and then proceeded to file the claim...

so after filing receive the automated: We will review your documents and contact you via email or automated message within 24 hours, regarding next steps.  After 36 hrs decide i better call, i am then informed that it is between 24-48, now without my phone (which works out to me losing roughly 25$/hr of business) i decide to complain to Fido.  They are helpful and go through my records and inform me of several complications 1. the newness of the phone and the fact that i have not paid (or been billed) so ownership is an issue. 2. i put my card into my semi functional s3 (many issues but better than nothing) and this switched the IMIE (phone logging) into me using a different phone.  

well neither of these were the issue, i contact asurion again the following day (now at 60hrs) and am told that the reason nothing is happening is that it is a manufacturers defect and i need to deal with samsung, i tell them i dropped the phone and that is what i reported, they tell me this is not what is on record, i tell them i have screenshots and the affidavit (which is scanned and faxed) both clearly showing that the box marked is for damaged phone.  

anyhow, now sent new service request # and the game begins again.  

From what i understand of this type of insurance company; delaying or not filing a claim is one of the more lucrative tactics in profitability, disgusted that Fido would team up with such a company.  As a 15 year customer, this is the last straw.  I am hancuffed and without a phone.  Whilst the individual responding to my calls are very nice and helpful they have as much power as i do, NONE

Hey Piradical, welcome to the community! 

I'd like to see what can be done on my end; I'll send you a PM to continue. 

For future reference you can reach us via Facebook or Twitter if you have any questions related to your account. 

raj0241

Is there any fido team member expalin why they are doing this..... why didn't mention every important detail in bold and readable fonts....

jerryone

My experience with Asurion has been awfull. I would not recommend any one get talked into this by a sales guy at the FIDO store. I've heard good things about Apple Care and would go that route, maybe, but never again will I pay $10/mo to Asurion!  I'm questioning Fido for their association. 

Shadeonyx

I have had this insurance since day 1, since it was only 10$

I am not sure why it changed to only 7$ on my account I never asked for it to be lowered

Also I have 2 claims right now with Asurion and I cannot buy my phone again because the cost is 226$ per phone

I pay 10$ a mont X 2 or 3  lines and I have to pay for a new phone, at least home owner insurance you pay the correct premium to have it replaced for the dollar value it's worth at the time it's lost or damaged.

I think Fido should seriously reconsider the insurance this company provides.

A) Their customer service sucks... and I can say that I work in the Call Center, IT industry

B) the value exchange is way more than it should be

C) I pay for the insurance so that if I do make a mistake which isn't often, that I can have the assurity my phone will be replaced with the least amount of hassle.

This company causes way more hassles in their process than they do in the reassurance of customers that they will have the tool they need to communicate with the outside world.

Fido I have been a customer with your company since before you were a child of Rogers.

I have watched you evolve and maintain the same customer satisfaction because my expectations are within the average... and lately... not too impressed on the protection of my phone.

Please seriously consider this.

Hi Shadeonyx,

Thank you for your feedback; it's always appreciated. Smiley I'll pass it along to the responsible party.

Let me know if you'd like me to take a look into replacing your phones! I'll be more than happy to help out.

***Edited to correct typo***

mamaof3

I have actually used Asurion twice since january and although it has cost me 225$ to have my Iphone 6 Plus replaced it is still less than if I had to buy out my contract and pay for another phone. I have had great service and the first time my phone was on back order I was offered another color so I dod not have to wait. I have received both phone is the 1 business day hey promise and I am very happy with the service I have received. The 10$ a month is like any insurance company... you pay a monthly fee and then when something happens you have to pay a deductible. Very pleased with the service!

@mamaof3 wrote:

I have actually used Asurion twice since january and although it has cost me 225$ to have my Iphone 6 Plus replaced it is still less than if I had to buy out my contract and pay for another phone. I have had great service and the first time my phone was on back order I was offered another color so I dod not have to wait. I have received both phone is the 1 business day hey promise and I am very happy with the service I have received. The 10$ a month is like any insurance company... you pay a monthly fee and then when something happens you have to pay a deductible. Very pleased with the service!

Welcome to the Community, and thanks for sharing, mamaof3! Smiley

Wufai
I'm Qualified Level 3

As an alternative to using the Device Protection Plan I found that keeping my old phone to use as a backup offers shorter downtimes and more piece of mind should anything happen to my current phone. It will work out cheaper as well.

I also keep a blank Fido SIM card that can be reprogrammed to my cell number if my phone was ever lost.

Hey raj0241, 

Once you sign up for the service, a document is sent by mail. Everything you need to know about the Device Protection program is available in the document. Although it may not be the most pleasant thing to read, it's still important to go over it at least once. 

DemeraraJ

I have a fido pamphlet detailing the insurance coverage and even fido representative response that it is next day replacement on your phone - http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/NonTechnical/thread-id/5241 on the protection plan.

I am sure it is not a fun lesson to learn but I can certainly understand how you feel.  It is sad that this happened to you and it is happening to alot of others as well.  What a scam!  This should be illegal to even sell this insurance to customers.  All we can do is let others know about the horrible service with ASURION with the Device Protection Plan of $10/month. "DO NOT TAKE THE ASURION INSURANCE FOR YOUR OWN SAKE!" quoted from another person with similar experiences.

Wufai
I'm Qualified Level 3

You are right, the protection plan is not worth it.  I want to ask though you though, didn't you read the fine print when you sign on for the protection plan? The delays and the $120 fee were all laid out in the details,  why did you sign up for this plan in the first place?

The protection plan is handled by another company and only partners with Fido to provide you the service. So some of the details might be out of Fido's hands. Its very much like Credit Card protection offers.

I hope you will learn your lesson and know the importance of a phone. My advice for you in the future is to keep a cheap backup phone for emergency such as this. This way even if you lost your phone you won't be hamstring by losing an important communication tool, waiting forever for a backup phone, and become easy bait to wireless companies to offer you another expensive 2 year contract to get a subsidized phone.

Gemor

This is a warning; don't take the "deal" of the 10$ a month fee for the asurion cellphone insurance!! You still have to pay the cellphone even if it's an "insurance".  For example, my phone's a samsung galaxy ace 2, I dropped it in the toilet so I was happy that I took the insurance that covers water dammages, and then I learn I have to pay 80$ + taxes to get a new phone! And I pay 10$ EVERY MONTH for that! 

But the worst part is the asurion "service".  You have to do everything on internet, you have to send proves of your existence and print their papers to send them back to them... why don't you have a store or something and we could do all that in one day instead of 2 weeks ??!!

I have researched other comments from customers of Asurion on the internet, and people are all pissed.  I read some horror stories like credit card frauds, someone even had to send back 3 replacements phones in 1 week until he had one that worked well! Are they sending back broken phones so we have to pay again for other ones??

I'm finally receiving my replacement phone tomorrow, August 16th (after I dropped my first one in the toilet on August 1st), and the first thing I will do with it is call Fido to get rid of that 10$ a month fee.

To conclude, DONT TAKE THE ASURION INSURANCE FOR YOUR OWN SAKE!

johnnyb

this seems a bit silly to me. if it were not for your device protection, you would have to buy out your contract AND buy a new phone; this is made clear in the contract you signed; also, paying a deductible is pretty standard practice in any insurance/warranty situation.