Asurion Scam!

Asurion Scam!

Asurion Scam!

SOLVED
mila3
I'm a Participant Level 1

Asurion Scam!

My husband purchased the smasung s5 for me just days after being released. We decided to opt for the warranty plan. it seemed great! just $10/month and if anything happens to the phone, just call fido and they will send a replacement! or so we were told... about 2 years after the purchase the screen shattered. So i called fido to report the damage and request to use the insurance i had been paying for. Well it all went downhill from there. The girl on the phone tells me I need to contact the insurance company and file a claim. File a claim? Insurance company? I'm completely lost at this point since I was originally told "just call fido and we will send you a new phone the next day!" I explain this to the rep, and ask her to explain to me in detail the steps needed to replace my phone. "well you call this number, file a claim, pay the $200 deductable and then they will asses the claim and send you a new phone" she explains. If my phone wasn't already broken i would have smashed it right then and there. $200 deductable!!?!?!?!?! What the hell have I been paying $10/month for the past 24 months for? So at this point I'm between a rock and a hard place. I need a phone asap for work, i literally cannot work without it. so reluctantly i pay the damned fee ($226 including tax) , hoping this is the end of this nightmare of a scam. Well it was not. Today I check my credit card statement to find a $452 transaction from Asurion!!!! of course they are closed today and just have a general voicemail to leave a message which I am certain will get "lost" and nobody will ever call me back. I will be calling my credit card company tomorrow to report this fraud transaction. I never consented to this transaction or have had any communication from asurion regarding any further charges, and at this point I have paid $240 in insurance fees, $226 deductable, and now $452 misc fee for a total of $918. I am so disappointed that Fido would offer such a terrible service to their customers, and as soon as my contract is over I will be taking my business elsewhere.

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Asurion Scam!

Solved by Former Moderator FidoRanya

Hey mila3, 

Welcome to the Community Smiley 

When you sign up for the Fido Device Protection, we send out some documents to your house with all the information you need to know about the replacement fee and the way the service works. If you were told that you'd have to contact us to get your phone, I'd like to apologize for this misinformation but it's not the case. 

When you get your new phone, you have to send out the one that's broken. It's stated in the package you received and there's a prepaid envelope to send out the phone. If you didn't do so, they will charge a fee to your credit card. It's the only reason something would be charged on your credit card. I'd have to refer you to Asurion to make sure this is the case. Did you sent out your broken phone to Asurion? 

I'm genuinely sad to hear you had a bad experience with asurion, it's definitely not the service we want you to have. 

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
FidoRanya
Former Moderator

Hey mila3, 

Welcome to the Community Smiley 

When you sign up for the Fido Device Protection, we send out some documents to your house with all the information you need to know about the replacement fee and the way the service works. If you were told that you'd have to contact us to get your phone, I'd like to apologize for this misinformation but it's not the case. 

When you get your new phone, you have to send out the one that's broken. It's stated in the package you received and there's a prepaid envelope to send out the phone. If you didn't do so, they will charge a fee to your credit card. It's the only reason something would be charged on your credit card. I'd have to refer you to Asurion to make sure this is the case. Did you sent out your broken phone to Asurion? 

I'm genuinely sad to hear you had a bad experience with asurion, it's definitely not the service we want you to have.