Asurion Device Protection not worth it. Do not waste your money

SOLVED
Loquattree
I'm a Participant Level 1

Just a heads up to anyone thinking about or currently paying the $11 a month Device Protection fee that is serviced through Asurion insurance.  This fee is not worth the $11 a month and is generally denied immediately unless you call Asurion directly.  Going through their phoneclaim.com will get you a polite email that makes you think your case is being processed but it will be denied with no follow up.  It will be up to you to call Asurion to get your claim processed properly.

Most Fido representatives are not clear about the $226 replacement fee that you will have to pay to Asurion, on top of your monthly fee, if you make a claim under this plan.  Yes that fee is outlined on your bill and in the package they mail to you but most people listen only to the person they purchase the phone from - they barely read the fine print.  The $226 fee is hardly mentioned.  What is pitched is the full replacement phone you will supposedly get.

For most phones that have warrenty issues, the extended coverage purchased from the manufacturer (like Applecare) is sufficant and doesn't require paying a replacement fee.  Most common damage to phones is a misfunctioning or cracked screen which, if the phone is no longer under warrenty or was damaged through misuse, generally can be fixed at various repair places for $140 or less. This device protection fee is really only worth it for a complete fail like dropping an uncased pre 2016 phone completely in water (many phones are now waterproof) or smashing it with a hammer.  If you feel that these sceanios are common risks where you will be using your phone....1...buy a good shock proof/water proof case or... consider the $11 a month device protection insurance.  Any other damage to a phone can be fixed cheaper than the $226 replacement fee.  And if a Fido representative here or in-store tells you that having a phone repaired nulls the warrenty.  Well, that's only true for phones still under the original 1 year warrenty (or manufacturers extended warrenty) which, if your phone is still under warrenty...just use the warrenty.  If your phone is not longer within the orginal warrenty you'll be either paying for a repair yourself at max $140 or a $226 replacement fee on top of the $11 a month ($132 year), just in case something happens, fee.  If you drop your phone and crack the screen 1 year and a day after purchase - it's no longer under warrenty - you will pay $358 for a replacement phone through Asurion/Fido device protection....or $140 repair.  

Feels like a scam to me but... if I was a construction worker who left my phone always lying around next to my power tools...I'd consider it.  But most of us don't do that.

Accepted Solution

Re: Asurion Device Protection not worth it. Do not waste your money

Solved by Moderator

Hey,

Welcome to the Community @Loquattree and thanks for your feedback Smiley

Certainly, everyone has different needs and therefore there's different options to choose from.

The standard warranty is a limited 1 year manufacturer warranty. It does not include coverage for accidental damage (including water damage) or loss/theft. While unexpected events/accidents that are out of our control are rare, they can definitely happen and the option would have you covered.

The Device Protection can also come in handy in the first months after the purchase of a device. For example, if the phone is physically damaged in the first 2 months, the manufacture's warranty will not have this covered. In this situation, the only options available would be:

1. Getting the phone repaired at own fees if it can be done.

2. Getting a new device.

The second option would only be possible by either paying for a new phone full price or by buying out the remaining subsidy and getting a new phone with a 2 year agreement at a discounted price.

Now, say your remaining subsidy on the phone is $600 after 2 months. Getting a new device would cost $600 + the price of the phone with a new 2 year agreement. Similarly, getting a new phone at full price could be more than $500 depending on the model. 

With the Device Protection, you would simply need to pay the replacement fee of $200+tax and the $11 x 2 for the monthly fee, which is a less costly option.

I assure you that we try to be as transparent as possible about the information concerning the Device Protection and provide all the important points when subscribing to it.

A Welcome Kit is sent by email / mail  including the terms of service and it's important to read them, as both the provider and the consumer share a responsibility.

Also, keep in mind that the Device Protection can be removed at any point in time. 

As for Apple Care, it extends the original 1 year standard iPhone or iPad manufacturer’s warranty to 2 years from the purchase date. Here's what you get with the feature:

• It provides repair or replacement coverage, including both parts and labour, from Apple authorized technicians
  • It covers iPhone 3GS and above, iPhone battery and included earphones and accessories
  • It adds up to 2 incidents of accidental damage from handling ($39 for screen damages or $129 for other damages on any model of iPhone or $49 for each iPad replacement). Accidental damage from handling includes dents, cracked screens, spills, and liquid submersion affecting the functionality of the device

However, the option doesn't cover:

• Cosmetic damage or damage that doesn't affect the functionality of the device
  • Lost / Stolen

You can read more about those option on our website here.

Hope this helps clarify Smiley

View solution in context
10 REPLIES 10
auntieemsalibi

It is also worth noting that if you receive a replacement phone it is NOT new, it is refurbished.  I was not informed of this at the time of purchasing my device protection.

When I paid for the replacement I did not receive the original colour that I had chosen.  They only had black - no white.  

The phone I received heats far more than the previous one.

I'm certain that the refurbishment done to this device was a screen replacement;  and it was done with third-party glass.  Why?  Because this devices screen is scratching and cracking extremely easily.  

Do not support this blantent fraud and that is being sold to you.

Hey @auntieemsalibi!

The Device Protection service offers a replacement device, if the exact model you had is not available though, then the most similar one available is sent. This is mentioned in Asurion's terms, which you can download here

That said, the device you receive does come with a warranty. If you're experiencing any problems with it, then I suggest reaching out to Asurion so they can look into it!

Goldad

That is if you get the phone  I use my phone for work payed my replacement. Asked them to tell me a time frame for replacement. Took them three months and after multiple calls bitching and complaining to Fido and multiple complaints  I ended up getting a phone from Fido and got them to deal with the situation.  Customer service sucks  lies after lies Etic **bleep** phone replacement. And. Warentee null and void nice one o have a phone here to prove it 

Commit

Hi Loquattree, thanks for the post.

I absolutely agree with you, because had the same experience with Device protection plan - I was really confused and disappointed when faced with info that 250 CAD replacement fee should be applied in addition to 11 cad monthly payment.  I didn't have a plan to buy it and didn't investigate this question before, that's why I trusted to Fido salesman who told me that "no questions, no extra fee, quick replacement no long play with the insurance company because this is insurance from Fido".

Frankly speaking,  Fido already collected from me 200 cad of monthly fee and asking about 250 cad fee ( 450 all together!). Sorry guys, but for this money, I can buy another one, same cell. Or new iPhone for the 800. And moreover, it doesn't mean "immediate replacement" - even after this it will take days.

That's absolutely disgusting policy! Yes, you can do your cross sales and upper sales on the same way but after this, you lost my loyalty.  Did it worth it?

p.s.  And now I looking how to cancel this insurance. Of course,  you cannot do this easily through the web site.  Everything is done for making the process of stopping of the extra service hard.  But I can get new extra like Spotify in one click. That's cheating.

Commit.

Hey @Commit and welcome to the Community

That's not the experience that we want for any of our customers. 

We do have a blog on the Community with all the information needed about the device protection right here

To remove the protection, you can contact one of our representatives to take care of everything. You can find the ways to reach us on our contact page here

We can help you with this on the Community as well. We would simply send you a PM to get this looked into.

Let us know what would be best for you Smiley

luckysharms33

I couldn't agree more with this email.  The asurion protection plan is not worth it.  I paid my $11/month for about 8 months and then unfortunately broke my screen.  I called Fido and was told to call asurion which I did.  The only option for me was to pay$200 to get a replacement phone.  This seemed like I was overpaying since all I had was a broken screen but there are no other options when this happens.  I went ahead reluctantly and paid the $200 for a replacement phone.  I received it within 48 hours and went through all the trouble of re-registering for my many apps and setting up the phone.  I soon found out however that my new phone had a TERRIBLE battery that would die by about 4pm after being at 100% in the morning.  My old phone would typically be about 50% battery around 4pm.  I had assumed I would be getting a brand new phone but apparently you are getting a refurbished phone.  So anyways, I called them today and asked for a refund.  I guess I barely made in time bc you only get 7 days for the refund.  So I will send back my 'new' phone and get my refund.  And then I will pay about $150 or whatever its gonna cost to get a new screen for my initial phone (it would have been $39 if I had bought apple care!!!, but instead I went for the fido care which was clearly a terrible idea!) and then I will cancel my fido insurance.  If I could do it over again, I would have just bought Apple Care and not listened to the fido salesperson who convinced me to buy their plan!

Hey @luckysharms33,

Welcome to our Community, we appreciate your feedback Smiley

I definitely get where you're coming from. Depending on the situation, the Device Protection can come in real handy. If say your device is physically damaged and the remaining subsidy on the agreement is a lot higher than the cost of the replacement fee and the monthly fee for the service, then the Device Protection can be a very good option to have your phone replaced for a much lower cost.

Also, the Welcome Kit that's sent with the Device Protection includes all the important information in regards to the replacement process as well as the replacement device. 

Hope this helps clarify a bit.

FidoClaudia

Hey,

Welcome to the Community @Loquattree and thanks for your feedback Smiley

Certainly, everyone has different needs and therefore there's different options to choose from.

The standard warranty is a limited 1 year manufacturer warranty. It does not include coverage for accidental damage (including water damage) or loss/theft. While unexpected events/accidents that are out of our control are rare, they can definitely happen and the option would have you covered.

The Device Protection can also come in handy in the first months after the purchase of a device. For example, if the phone is physically damaged in the first 2 months, the manufacture's warranty will not have this covered. In this situation, the only options available would be:

1. Getting the phone repaired at own fees if it can be done.

2. Getting a new device.

The second option would only be possible by either paying for a new phone full price or by buying out the remaining subsidy and getting a new phone with a 2 year agreement at a discounted price.

Now, say your remaining subsidy on the phone is $600 after 2 months. Getting a new device would cost $600 + the price of the phone with a new 2 year agreement. Similarly, getting a new phone at full price could be more than $500 depending on the model. 

With the Device Protection, you would simply need to pay the replacement fee of $200+tax and the $11 x 2 for the monthly fee, which is a less costly option.

I assure you that we try to be as transparent as possible about the information concerning the Device Protection and provide all the important points when subscribing to it.

A Welcome Kit is sent by email / mail  including the terms of service and it's important to read them, as both the provider and the consumer share a responsibility.

Also, keep in mind that the Device Protection can be removed at any point in time. 

As for Apple Care, it extends the original 1 year standard iPhone or iPad manufacturer’s warranty to 2 years from the purchase date. Here's what you get with the feature:

• It provides repair or replacement coverage, including both parts and labour, from Apple authorized technicians
  • It covers iPhone 3GS and above, iPhone battery and included earphones and accessories
  • It adds up to 2 incidents of accidental damage from handling ($39 for screen damages or $129 for other damages on any model of iPhone or $49 for each iPad replacement). Accidental damage from handling includes dents, cracked screens, spills, and liquid submersion affecting the functionality of the device

However, the option doesn't cover:

• Cosmetic damage or damage that doesn't affect the functionality of the device
  • Lost / Stolen

You can read more about those option on our website here.

Hope this helps clarify Smiley

NikoMartino

I've been paying the 10$ or 11$ device protection plan for about a year and a half.  I have a three year old so I thought it might be worth it.  I recently started having trouble charging my phone and spoke to a rep who informed me of the 200$+ charge to take advantage of the replacement.  I was shocked.  I can't speak for other sales agents, but the agent who sold me this plan never mentioned it.  Does Fido put it somewhere in the fine print?  I'm sure they do.  In my opinion this amounts to a deceptive business practice.  Strongly considering taking my business elswhere when my plan expires.     

@NikoMartino the $200 deductible is in the agreement that was mailed to you. I understand what you are saying about the sales agent never mentioning this and that's something I think needs to be changed. Agents should be mention this deductible when selling the device protection. 

Unfortunately even if you go elsewhere it will be the same there is always a deductible with the device protection.