Are fido dollars applied before or after taxes on purchases?

SOLVED
10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

Accepted Solution

Re: Are fido dollars applied before or after taxes on purchases?

Solved by Fido Employee fidoOlivier

Hi 

once & after taxes are applied on the price of the device being purchase.

As 

Cheers.

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
JasonB
I'm Experienced Level 1

Fido Rewards are applied after the sale of the handset.

Example:

You have $100 in Fido Rewards.

IPHONE4(16GB) - $649 + ( Lets use QC tax ) GST: $32.45 + QST: $57.92 = $739.27

Now we remove the agreement credit: $739.27 - $490 = $249.27

Now we take the Fido rewards and remove them: $249.27 - $100

Phone is $149.27

I am a Fido employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Fido or its affiliates.

Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Fido mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Fido ou d’une société de son groupe.

Hi 

once & after taxes are applied on the price of the device being purchase.

As 

Cheers.

Hi,

JasonB's calculation is incorrect. This is just a clarification on the calculation:

1. Subsidy is deducted from regular in market price before taxes
  2. Taxes are calculated on this amount
  3. Fido Dollars are decucted on this final amount after the taxes

Example:

I got the LG G3 last week. It was listed at $50. So I was charged $57.49 after taxes in Quebec. Therefore $57.49 Fido Dollars were deducted from my Fido Dollars balance.

Keep in mind the subsidy is always deducted before taxes. This way if you break your agreement you will be left to pay the remaining subsidy based on months remaining in agreement and taxes will be charged on that amount. All in all you are only paying taxes once on a certain amount. If you don't need to break the agreement then you will also saved on the taxes you would have had to pay on the susidized amount. By subsidizing my LG G3 I saved over $80 in taxes Smiley

hettie
I'm a Participant Level 1

I bought a travel package, and my monthly statement showed a debit and then a credit for the travel pack.  That was good, but the taxes on the travel pack were not paid back.  Why is this?  Should it not be paid back too?

FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Welcome to community @hettie!

I moved your post since we had a similar question. Fidodollars can't be used towards taxes when it comes to add-ons. Hope this helps! Smiley