Are all postpaid plans LTE enabled?

SOLVED
fuzzywuzzy
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I have an older Standard plan and just renewed for another two years, receiving a brand new Fido Samsung Galaxy S4 and Fido Multi-SIM.  The phone has the stock APN (ltemobile.apn) activated.  When powered on, it registers with the 3G network (850MHz).  If I change the band preference to LTE, the phone goes into a limited service state that only allows emergency calls.  A little observation with the ServiceMode app indicates that the phone is seeing LTE signals on bands 2, 4, & 17 with MNCs 720, 610, 220, & 270.  Moreover, a member of my extended family has a Samsung Galaxy S5 that has no trouble registering itself on LTE band 17.  I tried calling in to Fido Answers, but they want me to drive to a Fido store (some three hours worth of driving).  Is there any possibility that my plan is NOT eligible for LTE?  Is there any kind of account profile that can be checked/reset without me taking a road trip?

Accepted Solution

Re: Are all postpaid plans LTE enabled?

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Fuzzywuzzy,

Welcome to the community!

I'm not sure I can answer your actual question, but I can provide some information which might answer what you're experiencing.

I understand: 

@fuzzywuzzy wrote:

It is an older Standard plan (circa 2013) that includes talk, text, and messaging.  I dropped the 2GB data addon a couple years ago.  However, I do have data enabled for picture messaging (or purchasing data passes).

All voice calls (with the exemption of voLTE and Wifi-calling) and SMS/MMS are sent via the 2G and '3G' networks. The LTE network is strictly for data. If your phone is set to LTE only, it will not be able to make/receive calls normally. Hence the emergency calls only.

I also understand you have data enabled for MMS. While data does indeed need to be enabled for MMS, it is handled differently from other data usage. Have you attempted to use data (other than MMS) on your new phone? Since you do not have a data package anymore, you should receive a text requiring you to purchase a data pass. That said, you probably wouldn't receive that text if your phone settings are set to LTE. For most people the best setting to choose would be GSM/UMTS(WCDMA)/LTE autoconnect

The MNCs you provided do suggest there is a Fido/Rogers tower capable of LTE in your vincinity. While I do not know whether all post-paid plans are LTE enabled, a moderator recently posted that 'you would also need a LTE data plan' (see here). I suggest you PM a moderator who will then be able to access your account information.

**edit** Since you have data enabled for MMS, you might also consider restricting data for your other apps as well as background backups/updates etc. Most apps would require regular connections to the internet. If you don't have a data plan, you'll constantly receive texts about purchasing data passes. Even if you did decide to purchase a data plan/pass, restricting data on those apps you don't necessarily need to regularly update would save on your data allottment**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
KAPABLE-K
MVP

All plans should be LTE enabled just give it a while sometimes it take time to register.

Does your plan have data or is it just a talk and text plan?

fuzzywuzzy

It is an older Standard plan (circa 2013) that includes talk, text, and messaging.  I dropped the 2GB data addon a couple years ago.  However, I do have data enabled for picture messaging (or purchasing data passes).

Hello Fuzzywuzzy,

Welcome to the community!

I'm not sure I can answer your actual question, but I can provide some information which might answer what you're experiencing.

I understand: 

@fuzzywuzzy wrote:

All voice calls (with the exemption of voLTE and Wifi-calling) and SMS/MMS are sent via the 2G and '3G' networks. The LTE network is strictly for data. If your phone is set to LTE only, it will not be able to make/receive calls normally. Hence the emergency calls only.

I also understand you have data enabled for MMS. While data does indeed need to be enabled for MMS, it is handled differently from other data usage. Have you attempted to use data (other than MMS) on your new phone? Since you do not have a data package anymore, you should receive a text requiring you to purchase a data pass. That said, you probably wouldn't receive that text if your phone settings are set to LTE. For most people the best setting to choose would be GSM/UMTS(WCDMA)/LTE autoconnect

The MNCs you provided do suggest there is a Fido/Rogers tower capable of LTE in your vincinity. While I do not know whether all post-paid plans are LTE enabled, a moderator recently posted that 'you would also need a LTE data plan' (see here). I suggest you PM a moderator who will then be able to access your account information.

**edit** Since you have data enabled for MMS, you might also consider restricting data for your other apps as well as background backups/updates etc. Most apps would require regular connections to the internet. If you don't have a data plan, you'll constantly receive texts about purchasing data passes. Even if you did decide to purchase a data plan/pass, restricting data on those apps you don't necessarily need to regularly update would save on your data allottment**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

fuzzywuzzy

Hi Cawtau,

In my case the phone could see LTE signals, but wouldn't register with LTE at all.. not even for data service.  I did contact a moderator and they confirmed that Fido's current policy is that the customer needs to have a data plan in order to connect to LTE.

PS - Thanks for the tip about placing restrictions on background data.

OK give it a day or so another user had a similar issue a day ago and after leaving it over night it connected to the LTE network. You can also try restarting the phone and sometimes it connects.