Any charge for receiving text messages while in the US?

SOLVED
csis
I'm a Contributor Level 2

I am on a postpaid plan and I would like to know if I receive text msg while traveling in the States, will I be charged for that?

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Re: Any charge for receiving text messages while in the US?

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@csis wrote:

I am on a postpaid plan and I would like to know if I receive text msg while traveling in the States, will I be charged for that?

Thanks

Hello Csis,

Welcome to the community!

To elaborate on the above post, there is no charge for receiving SMS or MMS. However, the data within the MMS would be chargeable. If you do not have Fido Roam (and data with your plan) or a travel pack with data, it would get charged at the pay-per-use data rate of $7.99/50Mb per day.

If you disable your roaming data and/or cellular data, you'll receive the text indicating you have received a MMS and the option to download the content of the MMS. For that, there's no charge.

On the other hand, if/when your data is enabled you'll automatically be billed for roaming data (unless included Roam plan or travel pack) when the content of the MMS downloads. **edit** You should note that the content of MMS does not get sent/received over Wifi. Enabling data while connected to Wifi will still incur roaming data charges.**

Hope this helps! Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
Carado
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi,

Is incoming text still free of charge today?

Regards,

TL

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi @Carado & welcome to the Community. Smiley

Incoming texts are still free.

Cheers!

Carado
I'm a Participant Level 2

Thanks!

Cawtau
Senior MVP

@csis wrote:

Thanks

Hello Csis,

Welcome to the community!

To elaborate on the above post, there is no charge for receiving SMS or MMS. However, the data within the MMS would be chargeable. If you do not have Fido Roam (and data with your plan) or a travel pack with data, it would get charged at the pay-per-use data rate of $7.99/50Mb per day.

If you disable your roaming data and/or cellular data, you'll receive the text indicating you have received a MMS and the option to download the content of the MMS. For that, there's no charge.

On the other hand, if/when your data is enabled you'll automatically be billed for roaming data (unless included Roam plan or travel pack) when the content of the MMS downloads. **edit** You should note that the content of MMS does not get sent/received over Wifi. Enabling data while connected to Wifi will still incur roaming data charges.**

Hope this helps! Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@csis From what I know as long as the incoming message is not a premium message incoming text messages are free, no matter where you are in the world.