Android Upgrade Gingerbread (2.3) for LG Optimus 2X

delc_ven
I'm a Participant Level 3

If there any way to upgrade the Android OS? I currently have installed 2.2.2. When I use the LG Mobile Support Tool, I get the following response: "The Cell phone is the latest version already. So you don't need to update."

How can I upgrade to 2.3? Is it available?

Thanks

27 REPLIES 27
FidoGuy23

There is no update released from Fido yet but there are other options to update. You can download the official update that came out for unbranded lg optimus or install the custom CM7 rom but is much more complicated. I did my update following these instructions http://www.lg-phones.org/how-to-flash-lg-optimus-2x-to-android-2-3-4-gingerbread.html. It's an official update from LG. You will need to follow it very carefully. Problem with this is that it locks your phone. It's meant for unbranded unlocked phones (non fido). I had to unlock my phone after this update. It only cost me $8 to unlock. My phone became faster after this update.

delc_ven

Hello FidoGuy23,

I upgraded mu phone to Gingerbread with the instructions you sent me. It works great, very fast, etc. The only thing is that it disabled my 3G data. I can't access internet, only with Wifi.

Do you know how I can fix this?

Thanks

FidoGuy23

You need to have roaming on. You wont be charge for roaming. This is my second unlocked phone on fido. They both needed roaming to be on for the data to work. Just how it works I guess.

FidoGuy23

Also if that doesn't work. You probably need to setup the APN. Settings should be found on this thread http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/thread-id/768.

simon-c
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I have my phone updated to 2.3.4 and fully charged. I left my phone on stand by at nite (wifi, GPS OFF) for 8 hours. In the morning, it left with 80% juice, is that normal? How is the batteries consumption for you guys? please advice with your setting.

Hi there

I get pretty much the same battery level after a full night without using the phone. 

emez

I posted this in the other thread about this topic, but figured I would do this one also as there are a bunch of people reading this one only it seems.

I am not able to update for some reason.  It is saying I am using the most up to date version (even though the phone says 2.2.2)

Phone version (accoring to phone) lg-p990hN

Accoring to LG's site, there is no update available ( http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/mc-support/mobile-phone-support.jsp ).

Is this the version you guys have?

P.S. I have installed the latest drivers from the site, and I have the latest program updater from LG's site also.

Any thoughts?

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator

@ Community:

Can anyone assist emez with the update? Has anyone ran across this issue themselves? How did you fix it?

Gigabyte
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Just tried to re-install the LG software but still couldn't upgrade. Still showed i had the lastest version and no need to upgrade for my V11d.

emez

Update is now available. I was successfully able to update to gingerbread.
Peter05
I'm a Participant Level 2

Just updated to 2.3.4
Peter05

I had to reinstall the Lg app from there
http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/mc-support/mobile-phone-support.jsp#p (LGP990HN , choose software update)
Gigabyte

Yes, finally upgraded successfully. I used the LGMobile Update software to upgrade it. Some tips for those who may failed. Don't connect the phone to the PC before start up the LGMabile Update. After the software start up, change the Country to Canada. Then to connect the phone. Better to reboot the phone first before the upgrade process.
snow7977

Can you make skype video call on LG Optimus 2X with android 2.2 or 2.3? Anyone has or had rebooting problem with this phone? Thinking to buy LG Optimus 2X or SE xperia pro. Any suggestions? Thx
Gigabyte

Sometimes need to reboot to fix the unstable voice reception problem with old 2.2. Haven't get any problem after upgraded to 2.3. Didn't use the Skype voice call so far, so can't tell. The speed of this phone is really fast.
Maverik
I'm a Participant Level 1

That's not working for me.  I keep losing the USB connection. Tried on 3 different PC and I get the same problem.

I install the USB driver, I plug in my phone, it recognize it.  I start to do the update and after a while, my PC stops recognizing the phone and the update stops.  After that, my PC cannot recognize my phone anymore.  

I have read on other forums and I am not the only one with that problem.  For some, it ended up working, but I have tried on 3 different PC and I get the same problem.  Not sure what's going on...

delc_ven

Thanks for your answer FidoGuy23. Do you know when Fido will release Gingerbread for the LG Optimux 2X?

I would like to install the official update from Fido (I'm a little nervious following that tutorial). I have my phone unlocked already, will that update lock my phone again?

Thanks for your time

FidoGuy23

No idea when Fido will release the update. I don't think it should unlock it again.

dave023

I called Fido, and they basically told me it wasn't their responsibility to upgrade the phone, and that it was LG's responsibility.

I called LG and they were even more useless, first telling me "by the end of November", and now telling me "by the end of the year"
delc_ven

"LG Optimus PH" on facebook (http://www.facebook.com/LGOptimusPH) they said that to contact fido regarding this update. They said that Gingerbread is already released.

Who is the biggest irresponsible here??? LG or Fido?

Fido says that they are not responsible, please contact LG. LG says Gingerbread is released, please contact Fido.

My next phone is definetely going to be an iPhone, all their updates come from apple, and available from day ONE, without delays.