Android Stagefright Security Patch

SOLVED
ntcarib
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hi Fido,

I would hope that you guys are aware about the Android Stagefright bug affecting android and that Google has released a fix for this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagefright_(bug)

Before you say - yes I have checked your OS upgrade schedule and have not seen anything about this. I am aware that Samsung has its own schedule and I am very much aware that Telcos can strongly encourage the releases of these updates.

Any chance of an update to the schedule?

Accepted Solution

Re: Android Stagefright Security Patch

Solved by Fido Employee AdamBeast
8 REPLIES 8
illusion87
I'm Helpful Level 2

@Cawtau Thank you for answering in further details. Seems as though an fido rep couldn't answer what you did. I was not just concerned with that update it's more with all the updates that samsung has released that fido supposedly didnt "yet" but my mind is more at ease with your response. Again thank you.
illusion87
I'm Helpful Level 2

Going on 4 months after by that time I could be hacked, phone stops working or someone gets my personal information because fido failed to release an important security patch. Also that was a generic answer. Definitely not happy.

I'm very sorry that my answer does not satisfy you but I'm just being honest here  @illusion87 . If I had more information I would've been more than happy to share it with you. 

illusion87
I'm Helpful Level 2

Wow. Any fido reps explain this in further detail as to why the new updates are not being released. As a client of fido I would hope that our phone security would be a priority. I expect a non-generic answer. I will cancel all my services with fido if you can't guarantee security updates when they are released. My phone is my "lifeline". Files that have information about banking and other services that are for my eyes only. I should not have to disable mms (which hasn't been very reliable since I've had the new s6) or whatever when there's security patches to fix things.

@illusion87 wrote:
Wow. Any fido reps explain this in further detail as to why the new updates are not being released. As a client of fido I would hope that our phone security would be a priority. I expect a non-generic answer. I will cancel all my services with fido if you can't guarantee security updates when they are released. My phone is my "lifeline". Files that have information about banking and other services that are for my eyes only. I should not have to disable mms (which hasn't been very reliable since I've had the new s6) or whatever when there's security patches to fix things.

Hello,

It sounds like you're specifically concerned about Stagefright because you refer to having to disable MMS. Samsung pushed that update back in October and Fido customers have been receiving it (see here).  Are you sure your device hasn't already been updated with this patch? What version of android do have?

According to the OS update schedule, the S6 should already have 5.1.1. The Stagefright patch was a standalone update for 5.0.2. If your phone indeed has 5.1.1, then Stagefright would have been already taken care of. On the other hand, if you're on 5.0.2, what build number does your phone have?

As far as I can tell, this is the update which included the Stagefright fix:

Samsung Galaxy S6 (SM-G920W8)
Android version: 5.0.2
Baseband version: G920W8VLU2AOG2
Kernel Version: 3.10.61-4808800
Build Number: LRX22G.G920W8VLU2AOG2

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge  (SM-G925W8)
Android version: 5.0.2
Baseband version: G925W8VLU2AOG2
Kernel Version: 3.10.61-4808800
Build Number: LRX22G.G925W8VLU2AOG2

Taken from here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey illusion87, 

Once the updates are ready we'll release them , you can keep an eye on the schedule here

AdamBeast
Fido Employee
ka123489
I'm a Participant Level 1

Samsung has release security patches and OS updates since November, and FIDO is not releasing them to their customers. This is starting to annoy me, how incompetent the service is.