Android Nougat

Android Nougat

Android Nougat

NicolasJ
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Android Nougat

Well there has been lots of talk about Android Nougat being released soon, probably in September for some carriers but now it's highly likely that Android 7.0 Nougat will be releasing to Nexus devices on August 22. Looks like we probably won't get Android Nougat till 6 months to a year from now, just like with Marshmallow, but anything can happen pretty much I guess.....

14 REPLIES 14
NicolasJ

Well it's official! Android N (Nougat) 7.0 has officially been released to those of you who own a Nexus Device. Now we'll just have to wait & see how long it will take Fido to release Android N, here we go playing the waiting game again.... So interested to find out if it will take them close to a year to release Android N like they did with Android M lol 

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-nougat-now-available

10cc
I'm Helpful Level 1

Very well could be, I might not be around to worry about it.

Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

As I predicted awhile back while us S6 owners are relieved to be the very last users to receive Marshmallow the very same day Nougat released to Nexus owners so we're still behind the curve. Wonder how many years we'll wait to see that OS?

FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Hey @Proac! I moved your message since we already had a similar thread. As always, you can check out our OS scedhule here. Smiley

AlexPark
I'm a Participant Level 3

It doesn't give us a specific date.  Given that Nougat has already rolled out to every American carrier except for AT&T, I expect that you guys would be giving us a specific date now.

Do you have any idea as to when exactly this update will be released?

As soon as we know, you'll know! We'll update the OS Upgrade Schedule when we get an exact date, AlexPark. Smiley

AlexPark
I'm a Participant Level 3

Can you explain why it is taking so long to even know when we can expect to receive it?

Has LG not rolled out Nougat for H381 G5 models?  Does Fido already have it and are tweaking it?

Giving us a reason would be very helpful, as many other users are wondering why.

Hi @AlexPark! It's in the works, and we'll update you guys once we have more info. Smiley

tray2100
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi,

My job requires that I have the Android Security Patch Level of at least January 5th 2017 or they're going to disconnect my device from the corporate network.

Any idea when the latest OS will be released? I see Telus customers are receiving theirs today http://www.phonearena.com/news/Canadian-Galaxy-S6-owners-on-Telus-will-receive-Nougat-on-April-10_id....

If I get disconnected it would make my life a lot more tedious .... 

@tray2100 wrote:

Hi,

My job requires that I have the Android Security Patch Level of at least January 5th 2017 or they're going to disconnect my device from the corporate network.

Any idea when the latest OS will be released? I see Telus customers are receiving theirs today http://www.phonearena.com/news/Canadian-Galaxy-S6-owners-on-Telus-will-receive-Nougat-on-April-10_id....

If I get disconnected it would make my life a lot more tedious .... 

Hey @tray2100, the update should start to roll out for the S6 towards the end of April. I just updated the OS schedule, and if we get a specific date I'll be sure to update it again!

Hey tray2100!

Welcome to the Community! 

I can assure you that, while we don't currently have an exact date that we can provide you, we are doing our best to ensure that software updates/security patches are released in a timely manner. 

Keep an eye on our OS Upgrade Scedule for updates.

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

@tray2100 sounds like either your employer should be providing you with the appropriate equipement (that is, a phone and the cell service) and / or you should only use Google Pixel phones. Having a Samsung (especially an old one) is amongst the worst choices you can make in this scenario.

Edit: actually, it should be the first option above: if the employer can dictate the equipment required, he should provide it, period.

Unless you're self-employed and you're talking about a client, in which case the cost of doing business with that client is to have the correct equipment - that is, not an old Samsung phone.

10cc
I'm Helpful Level 1

My money is on fall 2017.
NicolasJ

I know same here. It's been almost close to a year since Android Marshmallow released & we're still waiting for that to be released on the S6/S6 Edge phones from Fido & Rogers. So I'm not holding my breathe thinking they'll release Android Nougat anytime soon.....