Activating iMessage with a data only plan and no additional balance

I'm a Participant Level 1 robo2084
I'm a Participant Level 1

Activating iMessage with a data only plan and no additional balance

Hi all,

So I came from the US and put a Fido card in my iPhone 5. I bought a $30 voucher and then added 1GB of data to my plan.  All I need is data-- no voice or text messaging, so $30 was fine for that. 

I also don't care if my Fido number is associated with my iMessage account, because I don't plan on giving out my Fido number to anyone.

The problem I faced was getting iMessage to activate. It turns out that in order for iMessage to activate, the phone needs to be able to send an actual SMS, even if I don't care about registering my Fido number.  For me, this meant I had to buy another $10 voucher, simply in order to get iMessage to activate.  

I'm worried that I will have to go through this process EVERY time I come. The additional $10 balance I have will expire in 30 days, so next time I'll buy a $30 voucher and go through this again.

Does anyone know EITHER 

a) How I can get iMessage ot activate without having any SMS credit balance?

or b) how I could buy a voucher for say $30.50 so I have enought to send one text message?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 2
I'm Experienced Level 2
I'm Experienced Level 2

Re: Activating iMessage with a data only plan and no additional balance

I don't think there's any way to activate iMessage without some sort of SMS being sent to Apple's servers. In regards of refill, it's not possible to refill just $0.50. Smallest denomination is $10.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 2