Acquire new device from retailer BUT retain current grandfathered plan

SOLVED
deviousDiesel
I'm a Participant Level 2

Been a loyal fido customer since the days when Microcell was the parent owner. I currently have a voice plan that is no longer offered. My contract ran out over 2 years ago. I am currently month to month on what is now known as a plan10.  Walmart and BestBuy have offers on a device that are much better than on fido.ca. What I need to know is this: can i retain my old plan and acquire the new device? it seems that all i need to do is sign a 2 yr contract, which is fine, I hve no plans to modify my plan anyways. I dont want to lose my current plan but want to acquire a new device. anybody know if i can retain my current plan and benefit from a new device (from ie Walmart)? 

Accepted Solution

Re: Acquire new device from retailer BUT retain current grandfathered plan

Solved by Moderator

Hi @deviousDiesel!

@Alex_DC is right! If your plan falls under a  PLUS10 category, you'd be able to keep as it long as you are willing to pay the PLUS10 pricing for the phone. 

And third party retailers such as Walmart sometimes offer incentives on new activations. What YOU want to do is an upgrade on an existing line. So do make sure that their offer is available to you as well as an existing customer. 

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will send you a PM. 

View solution in context
4 REPLIES 4
Alex_DC
I'm Helpful Level 1

As long as the renewal meets the criteria for "Plus 10" pricing, it is possible. e.g. if you want the Huawei Nova Plus, it is $150 down on a 2-year term at the Plus 10 level. The residual value of the phone, $250, will be deferred over the course of the term and you will only have to pay it out if you decide to end the term early. Also consider changing to a loyalty plan at the Plus 15 level if it's similar in cost and features to your current plan.

The benefit to getting your new phone from a reseller is that they usually offer gift cards or other perks for "new activations" (not necessarily renewals). Check the details before going ahead; some stores include renewals, some promos apply to new customers only.

Hi @deviousDiesel!

@Alex_DC is right! If your plan falls under a  PLUS10 category, you'd be able to keep as it long as you are willing to pay the PLUS10 pricing for the phone. 

And third party retailers such as Walmart sometimes offer incentives on new activations. What YOU want to do is an upgrade on an existing line. So do make sure that their offer is available to you as well as an existing customer. 

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will send you a PM. 

deviousDiesel
I'm a Participant Level 2

Thanks for the prompt reply. If there is a device at the plan15 level, the clerk at WalMart informed me that i would just pay about $120 to acquire that phone AND retain my current plan. It sounds plausible, but I may just stick with the plan10 device. It is an LG G3 phone. Perks abound on boxing week !!

No problem @deviousDiesel Smiley

Keep us updated on what you decide to do.