Acer Liquid E future updates

Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

Acer Liquid E future updates

Hey Fido/Rogers people, it's great that you provided the Android 2.2 update for the Liquid E within a reasonable time frame.

Is there going to be an update to Gingerbread (2.3) eventually?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 10
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Re: Acer Liquid E future updates

Based on the talk on the net, there doesn't seem to be any word of an official Gingerbread release from Acer for the Liquid E, but that's not a guarantee that it won't be available.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

Wow looks like someone has actually made a Gingerbread ROM for the Liquid:

http://android.modaco.com/content/acer-liquid-liquid-modaco-com/327220/news-gingerbread-comes/

Not sure if I'm brave enough to try it though.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Yeah, I've seen a few actually. If you do decide to try one out, I suggest you read all the comments before installing because sometimes some funtionalities don't work in ROMs. 

Also, an interesting tidbit of information. I read that Gingerbread 2.3 is reserved for the Nexus S and that 2.4 will also be Gingerbread.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

@WickyLeBlond wrote:

Yeah, I've seen a few actually. If you do decide to try one out, I suggest you read all the comments before installing because sometimes some funtionalities don't work in ROMs. 

Also, an interesting tidbit of information. I read that Gingerbread 2.3 is reserved for the Nexus S and that 2.4 will also be Gingerbread.

Funny you should mention that.  I was just reading earlier about how Google is not calling anything 2.4 so far:

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/msg/37941048a8fe3887?hl=en

I don't think there have been any official announcements that other devices won't get Gingerbread,  it just happens that the Nexus S is the dev phone so it was the first to get it.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Ha ha! Like I said, I just read it. I never said it was official. =P But we shall see in due time what will happen.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2

WEll, i hope to see the update to 2.3 soon! cause the 2.2Froyo as been awefull on the battery lifespan!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

I have examined Acer, and think it is a fabulous phone, so easy to rea  

However although I would love to own it, I am told I have to wait 18months as I have had an update!

Unfortunately, my update was has been dropped, and broken, and I am using an old phone!

As a 79 year old senior, with poor eyesight, the Acer would be perfect - so clear and concise!

Is there anything I can do about this?  Thanks!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello AAnana,

As a Fido customer, you can use your FidoDollars to buy a new handset. The FidoDollars would be applied towards the after-taxes full price of the Acer Liquid E ($375.00).

Let me know if you need more details or have other questions.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 10
Highlighted

Well, since the Nexus S in available here on Fido with Android 2.3, i hope to see the update soone for the Acer!!! Do you think it'll be a long wait before it'll be available?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 10