Acer Liquid E Ringtones

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2
I'm a Participant Level 2

Acer Liquid E Ringtones

Hi,

I bought a ringtone and it downloaded to my music app.  How do I use this ringtone?  It isn't listed in the ringtone menu.

Help!

Accepted Solution

Re: Acer Liquid E Ringtones

Hello Buster,

Any MP3 format file which was not purchased from a Fido handset through a legitimate Web site cannot be used as a ringtone. This characteristic applies to all handsets launched since September 2006 and all handsets which will be launched in the future.

Unlike the music in an electronic format used for personal listening, the ringtones are considered as a public performance. Purchasing a CD or a song for a MP3 player does not give one the right to use it for a public performance, which includes ringtones.

Fido has the duty to make sure that all MP3 files used as a ringtone include a digital right management, entailing that it was purchased from a legitimate source.

It is always possible to purchase some ringtones (format MP3 included) from the Fido.ca Web site.

Let me know if you need more details or have other questions.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Solution

Hello Buster,

Any MP3 format file which was not purchased from a Fido handset through a legitimate Web site cannot be used as a ringtone. This characteristic applies to all handsets launched since September 2006 and all handsets which will be launched in the future.

Unlike the music in an electronic format used for personal listening, the ringtones are considered as a public performance. Purchasing a CD or a song for a MP3 player does not give one the right to use it for a public performance, which includes ringtones.

Fido has the duty to make sure that all MP3 files used as a ringtone include a digital right management, entailing that it was purchased from a legitimate source.

It is always possible to purchase some ringtones (format MP3 included) from the Fido.ca Web site.

Let me know if you need more details or have other questions.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Actually. Saying that ALL handsets don't allow for custom ringtones is false. Blackberrys do not fall into this category and have always been able to use MP3 files as ringtones. iPhone is also capable of this, however the procedure is a little more complicated.

But anyway, that's not the solution that the OP wants to hear as he has an Acer and not a Blackberry. I don't have much experience with Android, but I looked around a bit and found some info that may be useful.

Try this: On your SD card, /media/audio/notifications is where you store files to use for app notifications. /media/audio/ringtones is where you store files to use as phone ringtones.

If these folders aren't there, just create them.

Then reboot your phone and try to change your ringtone.

Let us know if you have any luck.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 3