About the Manufacturer's Warranty, Fido Device Protection and AppleCare+

Service interruption

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry. You won’t be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

Click here to read more

GabrielleMtl
Fido Employee

I was running one fine evening to go catch the metro, my iPhone SE quietly resting in the pocket of my hoodie, and the inevitable happened: my phone jumped out of my pocket to, not only go crash against the concrete floor, but obviously right in front of my running foot which kicked it straight towards the rails directly in the void between the 2 wagons. As I watched it slide in slow motion, helpless, I screamed as loud as I could: "NoooOoooOoooOOooo..."

I don't know if it was a divine intervention or what, but my SE stopped its slide only a few centimeters away from the edge leading to its death. I picked it up and hugged it like my long lost child, the screen was completely shattered obviously, the metro doors closed right in front of my face and the train left without me, leaving me to contemplate the brutality of life while I was waiting for the next one.

I wasn't even close to complete year 1 of my two-year agreement and the fee to buy out my device was north of $400. Fortunately, I'd purchased the Fido Device Protection with my iPhone and the replacement fee with Asurion was $200. Still an unexpected expense, but still half of what I would have paid for an early upgrade. I filed a claim on the website and 2 days later I had myself a brand new SE in the mailbox.

Manufacturer's Warranty

No matter which phone you have or which province you live in, your manufacturer's warranty lasts 1 year (except for the Fido "Faves" which last 2 to 3 years depending on the model) and cover only manufacturing defects: software or hardware failure.  This warranty is automatically voided if your device has suffered any type of accidental or liquid damage, or if you got it repaired through a third-party provider (even just the screen). If you want to use it, you need to reach out to your manufacturer directly (Apple, Samsung, LG, etc.), or you can bring it to a Fido store to have it sent for repair.

Fido Device Protection 

The Fido device protection plan covers any accidental or liquid damage and even loss or theft for up to 2 replacements per year (maximum 1 loss). It costs $11 as an add-on to your Fido monthly plan (or $13 as a bundle with the value pack) and your phone will be covered for as long as you keep the option on your plan. The deductible for the replacement will cost anywhere between $25 or $250 depending on which device you have. If you need to get your phone replaced through the protection, you need to reach out to Asurion which is a partner company to Fido: fido.ca/servicerequest - that's also where you'll be able to see the deductible fee for your device. You can also reach them the old school way by phone at 1-866-327-3399. It's good to know that the protection covers full device replacement rather than repair.

AppleCare+

With the AppleCare+ warranty plan, your manufacturer's warranty is extended to 2 years and your iPhone is also covered in case of any accidental or liquid damage: it includes 2 repairs or replacements, depending on the gravity of the damage. You can purchase it as a one-time fee of $129 or $199 depending on the model of your iPhone* and then the claim fee is either $39 for a screen repair or $129 for a full replacement (+ shipping fee if applicable).

The biggest difference between AppleCare+ and the Fido device protection is that the former allows you to get the screen repaired at a discounted price and the latter also covers your device in case of loss or theft. Upon making your decision, you should also consider if the terms of payment suit your needs. As a satisfied consumer of both products myself, I have nothing but good words to say about both warranties as they have saved me a few hundreds of dollars on more than one occasion. Finally, the difference between having an extended warranty and not having one is the difference between "OH $#%*@:pouting_face:" and "Ahh, well. 😒

*You can also add it on to your Fido plan for $9/month on the same day of the purchase.

***Edited to add labels***

0 REPLIES 0