About heavily subsidized phones.

I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

About heavily subsidized phones.

Hi all,

Recently there's a few complaints from on forum about heavily subsidized phones from competiters and how Fido either doesn't offer the same discount, the high end phone itself. Most claim the grass is greener on the other side.

I passed by this link from cbc news about some negatives on a free expensive phone.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/bell-customer-says-she-s-stuck-with-bills-for-stolen-cellphon...

I can see some forum members might fall into this trap, my advice is if you can't afford full price on the phone you want, you are better off not getting the phone.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
Fido Employee sheedy17
Fido Employee

Re: About heavily subsidized phones.

I agree with you completely.    But I blame ALL the company's on stating the phone was free,  before the new CRTC ruling came out about clear contracts, and everything, it should be clearly explained yes the phone was free, as in 0 down BUT we gave you subdizing amount of a loan for $500 spread over 2 years.   I feel bad for consumers who thought the phone was free, because if you are not educated about the subsidy, thats when you get a shock about the bill OR that you owe money on a phone that you thought was free.

I myself cannot afford to pay $500-700 for a new cell phone upfront, so I pay more for my plan and pay nothing for the phone or $100 - $150 at a time for the phone,  I know over 2 or 3 years I am paying a lot more, but it fits my budget and it is what I can afford to do.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

I can't believe news stories like that.  If I bought a car, owed 25K on it, and did not have insurance on it, and it was stolen, would the news take my story of how the dealership is being unfair that I have to still make my monthly payments on a car not in my possession any more? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

Its not hard to believe since even some of our forum members are alreadly falling into these traps. Most follow this pattern.

1. I signed up to a 3 year contract with Fido, its been over a year now and my phone is broken. Yet I continue to pay high rates to Fido.

2. Why won't Fido throw me a bone and give me an (even more subsidized) phone? Don't they want to keep me as a customer? I spends hundreds and thousands on Fido every year!

3. My friends are all getting NEW HIGH END PHONES FOR FREE from competitors! and why does Fido charge more for their phones on contract then competitors?

4. No one is throwing a bone out for me. I'm leaving Fido and going to the competitor when my contract ends/pay off my contract.

None of these people has a mindset the phone is NOT free, its just the phone price is rolled into the monthly plan. and if the new phone is broken/stolen/faulity they don't realized they still have to pay the price of the phone.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

i herd about the news about the lady who got her bell phone stolen,   sometimes people claim they have no recourse, but hey it happend to me i had a phone stolen and i was just 2 mths into a contract, what i did, was buy a cheaper model second hand phone and call in to lower my price plan ie reduce or remove data, and i was able to continue using it, yes i had to pay like $60-$100 out of pocket to buy a cheaper used older model phone but it wasnt a total loss, i would rather do what i did than pay cancellation fees.   when you buy a phone from a store, you should always ask them "what are my options if i loose the phone"  not many ppl want to hear that "oh to replace your  i phone you would need to buy another one at $699-$800 out right, they will be in shock, but they only ask that later when its too late, so always ask upfront

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5