About First Billing Charges

SOLVED
aaw114
I'm a Participant Level 1

i am new in calgary
i signed in 6/ nov for new contract with fido. for 2 years. the boys at the store told me that your bill will be 55$ before the tax
in this plan i have 1gb. and 500 min
today( i check my usage ) i still have 730 mb
then you send me an email about my bill.
i check my bill it is 96$. you told me that i have extra usage the data.

i stil have 730 mb. also the guys at the store told me that i will receive 1 gb extra.
so how do you charge me for extra data
but i still have 730 mb

Accepted Solution

Re: About First Billing Charges

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Aaw114,

Welcome to the community!

If it is your first bill, the extra charges might be due to proration. When you start a new contract, your billing cycle usually starts the day after you signed the contract (day 2). On the first day (the day you signed), you will only have access to 1/30th of any allotments in your plan. Accordingly, you will also get charged for 1 day (1/30th of plan rate). However, if you exceeded 1/30th of an allotment that day, you may also get charged for overages. In your case, if you exceeded 33Mb (1/30th of 1000Mb or 1Gb) on day 1, you would have been charged for extra data for that day. Your first bill will include both your monthly charges and charges for the first day. 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
3 REPLIES 3
KAPABLE-K
MVP

@aaw114 The extra charge you're seeing on your bill could be partial amount of your plan for the first day.

When you activate a line the system automatically assigns a billing cycle to your account this cycle begins the day after your activation date. Due to this you're billed for 1 month + 1 day on your first bill. In your case your billing cycle would be from the 7th of Nov to the 6th Dec and you are always billed a month in advance.

The one day that you are billed for is a prorated charged and you could have used more data and incure extra charges for going over your limit because your data is being prorated also. You have 1Gb data so its prorated as 1024mb / 31days so you had 33mb to use for the first day you activated once you go over that you will be charged extra at the rate set out in your contract.

Hi there @aww114

Thanks for reaching out!

Did you get the chance to download your 1st bill on MyAccount to review the details?

To view or print your detailed online bill:

- Click on "Billing & Payments"

- Select the month you'd like to see in the drop-down list

- Click on "Save this bill (PDF)" beside the Bill date you want

@Cawtau & @KAPABLE-K gave some pretty good insight on what to expect on your 1st bill.

Since there's always prorated services/charges for the first few days of service (before the billing date kicks-in) that would explain the charges you're seeing. The 1st bill is always slightly higher then a regular bill, because it always includes 1 (or a few) more days of service, then a regular billing cycle.

Are you able to find this information on the bill itself? Smiley

Let me know if this helped!

Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Aaw114,

Welcome to the community!

If it is your first bill, the extra charges might be due to proration. When you start a new contract, your billing cycle usually starts the day after you signed the contract (day 2). On the first day (the day you signed), you will only have access to 1/30th of any allotments in your plan. Accordingly, you will also get charged for 1 day (1/30th of plan rate). However, if you exceeded 1/30th of an allotment that day, you may also get charged for overages. In your case, if you exceeded 33Mb (1/30th of 1000Mb or 1Gb) on day 1, you would have been charged for extra data for that day. Your first bill will include both your monthly charges and charges for the first day. 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers