4GB Data in one night?

4GB Data in one night?

4GB Data in one night?

SOLVED
qc201711
I'm a Participant Level 1

4GB Data in one night?

Yesterday I checked my data usage and there was still 600MBs remaining. And this morning I get a text message from fido that I have overused my data (3.4GB exceed). I checked my IPhone and the wifi assist is turned off. I did not download any apps because I was sleeping. I am confused and angry about it.

Accepted Solution

Re: 4GB Data in one night?

Solved by MVP MVP

Hello @qc201711 welcome to the community!

Excessive use of data is a more common occurrence with iPhone, I understand you said that WiFi assist is off but could it be that your phone did an iCloud backup and that could have used your data or is there an IOS update that was downloaded in the background? If you were connected to WiFi maybe you lost WiFi connect at some point during the night?

You will need to go through your phone settings and try to track down what used the data, go to settings then cellular and see what used the most amount of data.

View solution in context
3 REPLIES 3
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Qc201711,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear you received that rude awakening this morning.

However, is it possible that you actually used the data yourself? That is, the data usage in My Account or the app are not instantaneous -- they often require a couple of hours to update your most recent usage. If you used a large amount of data just prior to you checking your usage and going to sleep, that data usage would not have been updated in My Account or the app when you checked. Additionally, if you used that amount of data in one session, you would not have received any of the Data Tracker threshold messages (assuming your plan is eligible) since they are only sent after a data session has ended.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestions @KAPABLE-K & @Cawtau

Did any of that help, @qc201711 ? We'd love for you to share with us so we can help others that might visit the community for similar questions Smiley

KAPABLE-K
MVP

Hello @qc201711 welcome to the community!

Excessive use of data is a more common occurrence with iPhone, I understand you said that WiFi assist is off but could it be that your phone did an iCloud backup and that could have used your data or is there an IOS update that was downloaded in the background? If you were connected to WiFi maybe you lost WiFi connect at some point during the night?

You will need to go through your phone settings and try to track down what used the data, go to settings then cellular and see what used the most amount of data.