5 REPLIES 5
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@Scarecrow82 wrote:

Hey all,

im having trouble connecting to the 3G network in Kelowna it's non existent 

Hello Scarecrow82,

Welcome to the forums!

In addition to the information @FidoManuel has requested, could you be a little more specific regarding your phone and where you're trying to get reception. That is, what model version of the phone are you using and where did you get it. It would also be helpful to know what part of Kelowna you're having trouble connecting to 3G.

Cheers

Scarecrow82
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi,

i have a Sony Xperia Z3 I bought it in Australia its unlocked as has worked with a competitor's sim.

im currently living at big white ski resort about an hour out of Kelowna not only do I not get 3G here I also don't get it whilst I'm in the main downtown areas in Kelowna. I do have a 500mb on my current plan but haven't been able to use it since joining fido in October 2015

@Scarecrow82 wrote:

Hi,

i have a Sony Xperia Z3 I bought it in Australia its unlocked as has worked with a competitor's sim.

im currently living at big white ski resort about an hour out of Kelowna not only do I not get 3G here I also don't get it whilst I'm in the main downtown areas in Kelowna. I do have a 500mb on my current plan but haven't been able to use it since joining fido in October 2015

Hello again,

Judging by the specifications listed here, all of the different versions of that phone should have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. Is the version you have LTE capable?

There is a Fido/Rogers cell tower at Big White, though it appears to transmit only one of the '3G' bands/frequencies. Regardless, since your phone has both, you should be able to access '3G' there. With regards to Kelowna, there are some areas where you might not get adequate signal due to the distribution of the cell towers.

Have you verified that your phone has the correct APN?

For a non-LTE phone it should be using the two APNs: fido-core-appl1.apn and mms.fido.ca

For a LTE phone, it should be using the single ltemobile.apn

You can verify the correct settings here, under How to configure Android

Have you verified the network mode is set to 2G/3G? Obvious I know, but sometimes it's the little things we overlook...

Just to clarify, are you able to use the phone as a phone? That is, are you able to connect to 2G? If you are, what is the signal strength?

Have you tried your SIM in a different device as well as trying a different Fido SIM in your device?

You noted it worked with a competitor's SIM. It's possible they have better coverage because they have more towers in the area. Have you tried to turn roaming on? With Extended coverage, there are agreements in place which allow for roaming on the other networks in areas without Fido/Rogers coverage for no additional charge. It should be noted that extended coverage is only meant for short-term use. That said, if you are able to make/receive calls, then you would be in an area with Fido/Rogers coverage.

Hope some of this helps Smiley

Cheers

Just a little reminder, the "Mobile Data" option under Settings -> Data usage need to be turned on as well. 

FidoManuel
Former Moderator

Hey Scarecrow82!

Welcome to the Community!

I'll need a few more details to help you Smiley

Which phone are you using? 

Are you getting any reception at all (how many bars)?

Are you inside or outside when this happens?

When did it started?

Get back at me with those details, I'll look into that for you Smiley