3G Data Problem with The Acer Liquid

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1

3G Data Problem with The Acer Liquid

I have an acer liquid and I have recently been receiving texts that my data usage has been almost A hundred percent used up. Today it reached my 6 GB Data plan after only 15 days of usage, The strange part is that I only use my phone for simple Mail and Light Web Browsing and Yet I have used up 6GB of data Already! Can someone please help me for my data has already passed the limit and I am being Charged.Please Help!

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: 3G Data Problem with The Acer Liquid

It's important to note that just because your Acer appears to be in a standby mode, it doesn't mean that nothing is happening.  There are many apps that use constant internet, from file sharing tools to syncronizers.  Even the browser will run in the background, and can use up data if you left it on a site that refreshes it's content (either in part or whole).

Your best bet to ensure that your data is not being used up while you're phone is idle, is to get an "app killer" and ensure it's set to an automated mode.  The one I'm using allows you to set both interval and "paranoia" levels, so you can be assured nothing is running when you don't want it to be.

My first month with the Acer was much like yours, I easily went through my 500MB plan, but it was due to having 5 E-mail accounts being checked every 30 minutes (which uses data even if there is no mail), as well as leaving apps running.

I actually now make sure that when I sell an Acer (in store) the customer has an app killer installed before they leave.  While it's not a Fido policy (aka not my job) I think it's good from a customer satisfaction standpoint, and resolves issues such as these.

--------------------

@123456:   Your issue also sounds like it may be related to apps running in the background.  My suggestion is to get a good app killer from the marketplace, there are a lot of excellent free ones, and set it to an automated mode.

--------------------

I am a Fido employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Fido or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Fido mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi beilik,

6 Gigs in 15 days does sound a little excessive. I recommend giving us a call and checking if the same amount is showing in our system. If it is we should be able to pin point it for you or have it rectified if it is in error.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted

i checked my data usage a couple days ago, and was at 50% over 2 weeks for a 500mb/month plan. checked again this morning and was OVER by 750 mb!!! over only a couple days. when i was checking this, the phone said it couldn't open any new windows because the max were already open. I didn't know there were other windows, and i found them and closed them all, however i think that one of those windows in the background was streaming commercials or something because i only used the internet a little on the phone and usually over wi-fi??? hope this fixes my problem -- maybe u had the same thing -- continuous streaming of something u didn't know was even there?? otherwise some1 is stealing my bandwidth

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 3
I'm Helpful Level 3
Solution

It's important to note that just because your Acer appears to be in a standby mode, it doesn't mean that nothing is happening.  There are many apps that use constant internet, from file sharing tools to syncronizers.  Even the browser will run in the background, and can use up data if you left it on a site that refreshes it's content (either in part or whole).

Your best bet to ensure that your data is not being used up while you're phone is idle, is to get an "app killer" and ensure it's set to an automated mode.  The one I'm using allows you to set both interval and "paranoia" levels, so you can be assured nothing is running when you don't want it to be.

My first month with the Acer was much like yours, I easily went through my 500MB plan, but it was due to having 5 E-mail accounts being checked every 30 minutes (which uses data even if there is no mail), as well as leaving apps running.

I actually now make sure that when I sell an Acer (in store) the customer has an app killer installed before they leave.  While it's not a Fido policy (aka not my job) I think it's good from a customer satisfaction standpoint, and resolves issues such as these.

--------------------

@123456:   Your issue also sounds like it may be related to apps running in the background.  My suggestion is to get a good app killer from the marketplace, there are a lot of excellent free ones, and set it to an automated mode.

--------------------

I am a Fido employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Fido or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Fido mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 4