#3333 text message extended network

SOLVED
NorPlan1
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I'm forever getting a Fido #3333 Automateted Message telling me I Ventured into an Extended Coverage Area.. Our plan gives Free Long Distance across Canada..  Point is , This Message is Unnecessary and Nagging sort of way.. How Can I Block It or Tell Fido to Please STOP informing Me ???

Accepted Solution

Re: How To Block A Nagging Automateted Text..

Solved by Former Moderator FidoAlyson

Hey @NorPlan1

As FidoAmandaN mentionned, you receive this notification only when you are outside of Fido's network, on one of our partner's coverage area. Every time you venture outside of the Fido network(Roaming or through the extended coverage) you receive a warning to let you know.

It's not possible to opt out of the warning.

On the other hand, if you turn off Roaming on the phone, you won't be able to connect to the extended network and won't receive any notification.

View solution in context
15 REPLIES 15
redshift
I'm a Participant Level 2

Why would we need an SMS telling us we're roaming when the symbols (EXT, etc) already tell us?  This is stupid and extremely annoying.

Hey @redshift

These messages are used as a reminder to let our customers know when they leave the Fido network. This can come in handy for customers that are not familiar with our extended coverage map

I hope this helps answer your question. Smiley 

redshift
I'm a Participant Level 2

Why?  So we can put out markers and make sure we never leave the area?

If roaming in Canada is free, why should we care if we are roaming?

Hey @SpiltBwater

The text messages you are referring to are slightly different from the ones related to the extended coverage.

They are to make sure you have an easy access to purchase a travel pack while arriving at your destination. 

Is there any way to have these messages only able to come through at a reasonable hour? 12am PDT seems unreasonable to send reminders about selling roaming options.

@SpiltBwater wrote:
Is there any way to have these messages only able to come through at a reasonable hour? 12am PDT seems unreasonable to send reminders about selling roaming options.

Hello SpiltBwater,

I don't think those are the same types of texts. The ones discussed above are only generated when the phone connects to a network other than Fido/Rogers. If the phone connects to a different network at 12am PDT, then the other network would generate the text at that time. However, if the phone stays on Fido/Rogers, no such text should be issued.

If you're referring to other promotional texts, you may be able to request to opt out of receiving them.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

NorPlan1

Don't seem to be getting anywhere with this Extremely Annoying Automated Fido Text #3333 Texting to Inform me of Free Roaming in the area Fido has picked up my Cellphone Signal.... I could be telling Fido Brass till I'm Blue in the Face and the Cows come home.. Not Necessary Info ... 

I live 35 minutes East of the Big City, 99.9 % of my calls are all Local to someone in the Big City.. Ironically the Cellphone Signal carriers to a Tower 35+KM East again from our Home 

before swinging back Westward towards the Big City.. If I'm out and about especially within a couple KM of the house and the WiFi is turned on my Cellphone I'm plaged by a Text from #3333... Said all that to ask how the Fido Brass could please turn this Annoying Text MessageOFF Please & Thank You...

Hello NorPlan1,

I understand repeatedly getting those texts can get annoying. Unfortunately, as noted in your other thread regarding this same issue, there is no way to opt out of the notifications. The reason being, there is a limit as to how much one can use extended coverage. If you exceed 50% usage on Fido-EXT, the service will likely get blocked. Without the notifications users would not be able to gauge how much they use the service. **edit** You should also note that the texts don't come from Fido. They are sent from the other network your phone has connected to. It's not some arbitrary decision Fido's computer made, it's the connection to a different network that generates the text. They might say 'Welcome to Fido-EXT' but with the roaming agreements, Fido-EXT is the other network.**

I understand (from your previous thread) that you usually keep your roaming data box unchecked. However, that setting has no bearing on voice and/or text roaming; it only affects data. There used to be a separate roaming setting which could prevent all roaming but it seems to have been removed in newer versions of android (and perhaps iPhones as well). At least I can't seem to be able to find it anymore.

Connecting to extended coverage doesn't have anything to do with your absolute location per se or local calling area. What matters is your location relative to the celluar towers. You can get an idea of where the cellular towers are here. If the closest Fido/Rogers towers are in the Big City, that may be too far for your phone to receive the adequate signals. Your phone would connect to a closer other tower. Similarly, a couple of Km away from your house is apparently outside of Fido/Rogers coverage, but within the range of some of the other cellular towers. Both those would be considered extended coverage. 

**edit** I've recounted this anecdote before, but it seems relevant. Regarding absolute distances versus relative locations to cellular towers... When I was in Port Elgin over the summer, on one side of the street I was connected to Fido while on the other side of the street I was connected to Fido-EXT. The two locations were less than 100 metres apart. However, on the other side of the street, I was just out of Fido/Rogers coverage.**

Have you asked whether it is possible to disable extended coverage for your phone? If possible, it would eliminate those texts. However, doing so would also restrict where you could use your phone. 

Not the answer you were hoping for, but hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

@ redshift , very good question!

The Extended Coverage may be a free service but is meant for occasional use only. There should not be more than 50% of your Fido services being used on the extended coverage; this includes voice calls, data and text messaging. Otherwise it may be considered ``high usage`` while on an extended coverage area. 

Repeatedly using ``high usage`` (more than 50% of your services) in these areas will eventually cause the service to no longer being available.

You can read more details about the extended coverage right here! Smiley 

I agree that these "reminders" are annoying.  I get 2 of them when I have been in U.S.A. for 45 mins.  Then on my way home, I get another reminder of how I can purchase by texting "pack" to some where.  If I wanted/needed a travel pack I will buy one.  

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator

Hey NorPlan1!

These notifications are not about your long distance plan but rather mean that you're in an area, outside the Fido network, which is under the Extended Coverage area.

Extended Coverage allows our customers, that occasionally travel outside of the Fido coverage area, access to our partners’ networks for talk, text and data services across Canada to help you to stay connected in more places across your province.

You can check out all the details about Extended Coverage here and take a look at our coverage map here to see where Extended Coverage is available.

When you enter an Extended Coverage area you will see EXT or a roaming indicator on your device screen, you will also receive a welcome text message, and if you use Extended Coverage regularly, we’ll remind you occasionally via text message.

Hope this helps! Smiley

NorPlan1

Amazing How Each Carrier sends their Signal so on and so on.. From the actual location I sent the Text to the person Receiving was approximately 15km's and all within the same Local Area Code... How Fido's Computer determines to Send this Unnecessary Nagging Notice and my Emphasis is on "Unnecessary" &  "Nagging"......   I'd like to Block This if at all Possible.. Please & Thank You...

Hey @NorPlan1

As FidoAmandaN mentionned, you receive this notification only when you are outside of Fido's network, on one of our partner's coverage area. Every time you venture outside of the Fido network(Roaming or through the extended coverage) you receive a warning to let you know.

It's not possible to opt out of the warning.

On the other hand, if you turn off Roaming on the phone, you won't be able to connect to the extended network and won't receive any notification.

NorPlan1

That the Thing I do have my Data Roaming Box (Unchecked) So I wouldn't be getting Ad Pop Ups..  The only time I check the Box is if an Incoming Text has an Attachment.. Then once I've finished , the Box is again Unchecked.. So any and all Fido Messages Informing of Roaming still come through.. That is my One Pet Peeve with Fido / Rogers..

Hey @NorPlan1 

I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look at your account and check out some options together. Smiley