2yr Agreement by default ? and then a really long workaround. hmm !

I'm a Participant Level 1 Brz
I'm a Participant Level 1

2yr Agreement by default ? and then a really long workaround. hmm !

Background :

I went to the  Fido store in Sunridge Calgary on Saturday 7th July, around 8 pm to pickup a new Xperia M2. I wanted to buy the phone outright using my Fido dollars and rest by Card. Was told that the backend support is out which is needed for my case. Was told to come the next day. 

Customer service grade : A+

Next day : stood in queue for about 20mins. Then got queue jumped by a group of guys. After protest teh Fido rep's answer was too many people around and I cannot figure out who is who. (And yes the customary have a great day at the end)

Customer service grade : C- (given a little bit of slack)

I got pissed and called up 611 to complain. Did that and also ordered the phone I specifically said I wanted to buy it outright. The customer service rep confirmed the fido dollars I have in my acct etc.  was told that the phone will be shipped in 48 hrs etc and the balace would be charged to my monthly direct charge acct. ***

Customer service grade : A+

Today : look up my acct. and lo a behold 2 yr agreement with my phone showing as the M2. Whoa.... No charges were made though.

Call 611: Was advised to return the phone as recieved and that the agreement would be automatically void and null. and then go to the fido kiosk/store to pick up a phone quicker.

Customer service grade : A+ (reasonable solution for the problem at hand)

Overall experience with FIDO : SUPER ULTRA EPIC FAIL

I have not been on an agreement for ~4yrs (had to takeover my dad's agreement, I never went on an agreement) . Dont want to be on one. Been a fido customer since 2006.

*** ahh this is my second attempt to order a phone in 1 month. The first one was the Moto X which resulted in a call 3 days later saying that the warehouses dont carry it anymore and they refunded my credit card charge to the Fido account (why not back into the credit card ? didnt want to ask...). I did ask the gentleman who ordered the Sony M2 if he needed the card number like the lady who took the Moto X order did. And he said no need, it will come on the monthly bill. OK.

The question is for anyone not affiliated to the FIDO institution

1. Can I make a formal CRTC complaint on putting me on an agreement without my "agreement" - pun intended

2. The customeer service is Half decent. Service is polite but, serious issues with competency. Is this the case will all service providers now ?

PS. if you wanna say - Ohh yeah "Maybe the dude thought you wanted to buy the phone outright but still wanted to be on contract for 2 yrs" - IF that is the case, the dude should be given a quick IQ test and I bet it would come with a negative number as answer.  

Accepted Solution

Re: 2yr Agreement by default ? and then a really long workaround. hmm !

More than likely a honest mistake. There's no reason for us to put you on a contract if you didn't want you. You have 15 days to change the terms. If a 2-year contract was put on accidentally and you notice it, it's easy to change the price of the phone and make it full price and reverse the agreement.
View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 2
I'm Experienced Level 2
I'm Experienced Level 2
Solution

Re: 2yr Agreement by default ? and then a really long workaround. hmm !

More than likely a honest mistake. There's no reason for us to put you on a contract if you didn't want you. You have 15 days to change the terms. If a 2-year contract was put on accidentally and you notice it, it's easy to change the price of the phone and make it full price and reverse the agreement.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 2