2g coverage in Montreal

2g coverage in Montreal

2g coverage in Montreal

SOLVED
Clemclem
I'm a Participant Level 1

2g coverage in Montreal

Hi,
I want to buy a simple 2g phone for week ends. How long will Fido support the 2g network?
I heard a lot of carriers are shutting down 2g.
Best

Accepted Solution

Re: 2g coverage in Montreal

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@Clemclem wrote:
Hi,
I want to buy a simple 2g phone for week ends. How long will Fido support the 2g network?
Best

Hello Clemclem,

Welcome to the community!

There is little published information regarding the decommissioning of the Rogers GSM or 2G network. What I have found is from Wikipedia. Rogers is no longer increasing its GSM coverage footprint and has only committed to support its 2G GSM network until 2018. Indeed, Rogers has reduced their 2G networks (see here). However, it still has a fairly good presence nationally. **edit** However, it's difficult to say how the reduction in band capacities would affect your coverage in Montreal.**

In addition, according to Rogers' network information page:

In addition to being first in Canada with LTE, 4G HSPA+ and HSPA networks, Rogers operates Canada's only nationwide 2G GSM/EDGE network, and has committed support until 2018. ~ taken from here.

However, it is unclear as to how far into 2018 that support will continue. I think your better option might be to purchase a simple 3G UMTS (WCDMA) phone.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
2 REPLIES 2
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@Clemclem wrote:
Hi,
Best

Hello Clemclem,

Welcome to the community!

There is little published information regarding the decommissioning of the Rogers GSM or 2G network. What I have found is from Wikipedia. Rogers is no longer increasing its GSM coverage footprint and has only committed to support its 2G GSM network until 2018. Indeed, Rogers has reduced their 2G networks (see here). However, it still has a fairly good presence nationally. **edit** However, it's difficult to say how the reduction in band capacities would affect your coverage in Montreal.**

In addition, according to Rogers' network information page:

In addition to being first in Canada with LTE, 4G HSPA+ and HSPA networks, Rogers operates Canada's only nationwide 2G GSM/EDGE network, and has committed support until 2018. ~ taken from here.

However, it is unclear as to how far into 2018 that support will continue. I think your better option might be to purchase a simple 3G UMTS (WCDMA) phone.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @Clemclem

What did you think about @Cawtau 's post? Did it help?

Feel free to keep us posted Smiley