2G vs 3G vs LTE

I'm a Participant Level 2 sorinmtl
I'm a Participant Level 2

2G vs 3G vs LTE

I have one of my phones that had only a voice and sms package, no data at all. It had a regular old sim card in it. Last week I've bought a brand new unlocked blackberry Q5. I went out and purchased a LTE micro-sim , put in the phone, called fido to activate the new sim, same voice package as before. 

After activation, if I leave the phone with defaults, such as lte, 4g, 3g, and 2g network, incoming calls don't work and they go straight to voicemail,  incoming sms lags big time. Outgoing seems to be working fine, both sms and calls. 

If I force the phone to stay and connect on 2g only , everything works like it should. No lags for incoming sms, and incoming calls work.

Why is this? can it be that fido has to change something to allow the phone and/or sim to work properly on lte, 4g, or 3g?

Accepted Solution

Re: 2G vs 3G vs LTE

No, if it is something wrong more than likely its due to your phone. Mind telling us the specific model of your Q5? there might be serval models of Q5.

My advice is if you don't have a data plan, just tell the phone to use the 2G network, there is no benefit to 3G/LTE if you don't have data plan.

Don't mind the LTE sim card, you need all 3  (phone/SIM card/plan) to be LTE enabled to use LTE.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 4
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3
Solution

No, if it is something wrong more than likely its due to your phone. Mind telling us the specific model of your Q5? there might be serval models of Q5.

My advice is if you don't have a data plan, just tell the phone to use the 2G network, there is no benefit to 3G/LTE if you don't have data plan.

Don't mind the LTE sim card, you need all 3  (phone/SIM card/plan) to be LTE enabled to use LTE.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 4
I'm a Participant Level 2 sorinmtl
I'm a Participant Level 2

I'll check to see which version. However I have another sim with a different provider and my Q5 worked perfectly with the other sim, incoming calls, etc. 

I'll let you know which version it is.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 2 tccris
I'm a Contributor Level 2

my old veeeery good plan that I had on 3G i have need to change it when i got the lte phone because it would't work with the lte,so i suppose that the plan is registered on 2G or 3G frequency  is useless on lte ,so either you stay on 2G or 3G or you get an lte plan

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 4