1000 min international call region

SOLVED
klcath
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hello i have a question about the international call in my plan. i will be in China for 2 weeks. i found that my plan contains 1000mins international call to China. if i call someone who is holding a Chinese phone # when i am in China,will i need to pay the fee?or it will be including in the plan?will the person pick up the phone and pay for the call if i call her?Thx!

Accepted Solution

Re: 1000 min international call region

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Klath,

Welcome to the community!

What plan do you have? Is it a Pulse plan?

Firstly, the 1000 international minutes are only for the long-distance (LD) portion of a call to one of those countries. Long-distance calls are billed by the minute and airtime charges apply (see Full details here). So a call to one of those countries (aside from evenings and weekends) counts against both your international minutes (LD) and minutes (airtime). If you use up all of your Anytime minutes (assuming you don't have unlimited minutes), you will be charged for additional airtime.

If you have a Pulse plan, when travelling, calls back to Canada are included in Fido Roam as are calls that are local to your destination. Calls within the country you're visiting are considered local. While you're in the China, calls to Chinese phone numbers would be considered local and not use up your 1000 international LD minutes. Calls to other countries would be considered LD as if you're making them from Canada.

As with calls, messages sent back to Canada are included with Fido Roam. Messages to all other destinations will be charged as if you’re making them from Canada. That said, if  your plan includes international messages, they would also be included with Fido Roam. 

If you do not have a Pulse plan, you will have to purchase a Travel Pack or use the services as pay-per-use. The travel pack roaming minutes include long-distance (except to satellite phones and toll-free numbers). As such, calls to China, Canada, or even overseas are included.

If you have a Pulse plan, using your services will incur the daily Fido Roam fee. If not, you'll have to purchase a Travel pack or any use of your services will trigger roaming fees.

I can't be certain about how other networks charge their customers, but I would guess your call would be treated like any other call to her phone.

You might also verify whether your phone/device is compatible with the local networks as most Chinese providers use different bands/frequencies from North America. You can see the bands/frequencies used by the different countries by selecting from the drop-down menu here (bottom of page). You can also verify the countries bands/frequencies here.

You might also consider trying to get an idea of the local mobile networks' coverage at your destination. Mobile phones roam on the existing infrastructure at the destination. Fido's service cannot extend beyond what is available locally. It's the customers' responsibility to check whether their phones would work at their destination. Open Signal can give you an idea of the coverage at your destinations.

Have a great trip!

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Klath,

Welcome to the community!

What plan do you have? Is it a Pulse plan?

Firstly, the 1000 international minutes are only for the long-distance (LD) portion of a call to one of those countries. Long-distance calls are billed by the minute and airtime charges apply (see Full details here). So a call to one of those countries (aside from evenings and weekends) counts against both your international minutes (LD) and minutes (airtime). If you use up all of your Anytime minutes (assuming you don't have unlimited minutes), you will be charged for additional airtime.

If you have a Pulse plan, when travelling, calls back to Canada are included in Fido Roam as are calls that are local to your destination. Calls within the country you're visiting are considered local. While you're in the China, calls to Chinese phone numbers would be considered local and not use up your 1000 international LD minutes. Calls to other countries would be considered LD as if you're making them from Canada.

As with calls, messages sent back to Canada are included with Fido Roam. Messages to all other destinations will be charged as if you’re making them from Canada. That said, if  your plan includes international messages, they would also be included with Fido Roam. 

If you do not have a Pulse plan, you will have to purchase a Travel Pack or use the services as pay-per-use. The travel pack roaming minutes include long-distance (except to satellite phones and toll-free numbers). As such, calls to China, Canada, or even overseas are included.

If you have a Pulse plan, using your services will incur the daily Fido Roam fee. If not, you'll have to purchase a Travel pack or any use of your services will trigger roaming fees.

I can't be certain about how other networks charge their customers, but I would guess your call would be treated like any other call to her phone.

You might also verify whether your phone/device is compatible with the local networks as most Chinese providers use different bands/frequencies from North America. You can see the bands/frequencies used by the different countries by selecting from the drop-down menu here (bottom of page). You can also verify the countries bands/frequencies here.

You might also consider trying to get an idea of the local mobile networks' coverage at your destination. Mobile phones roam on the existing infrastructure at the destination. Fido's service cannot extend beyond what is available locally. It's the customers' responsibility to check whether their phones would work at their destination. Open Signal can give you an idea of the coverage at your destinations.

Have a great trip!

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers