Tunein radio app *how much data *

I'm a Participant Level 2 bluenote
I'm a Participant Level 2

Tunein radio app *how much data *

Hi guys,

I have a LG smart phone with a 500mb data plan per month.  I have the Tunein radio app and I listen to music from other stations around the world on wifi at work without the data plan.  Now that I have the data plan and I am away from a wifi network if I listen to this tunein radio app for an hour a day or so how much mb would I be using?

I don't download anything , just use the internet to browse a couple of sites and listen to this app.

thanks guys

Accepted Solution

Re: Tunein radio app *how much data *

Hey community!

Although this thread's an older one, I thought I'd provide an update Smiley

If you're ever wondering how much data an app or feature can use, I suggest checking out our data calculator over here

This cool little tool can help you get an estimate on how much data certain things will use up, it's a great solution for a situation just like this one! 

Hope this helps Very Happy

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 6
Former Moderator FidoJonathan
Former Moderator

Hello bluenote,

Welcome to the Fido technical community,

We are not able to say exactly how much data usage you will be able to use; if you are using this application fairly all day during the day.

What I can say is the data plan you have should support the activities that you are using your phone for on a daily basis.

I have found another forum online with a Radio application. You may want to check this out as well. It may help answer your question.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1635119-Chum-Radio-App-on-Blackberry-Data-Usage-on-Rogers

I hope this helps,

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 6
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

you can check your data usage with the myaccount page on fido.mobi, i would recommend to not listen to your streaming radio for a lot, try it for short intervals at first, to get the feel for how much data it uses, then go in and check your data usage.

one thing to mind, the data usage for smart phones can take up to 4 hours for the CDR records to update your account usage on the myaccount, so you might want to power cycle your phone and check the data after a few hours, spread the testing over a few days instead of doing it all in one day. you will get a better idea of how much data a half hour of streaming counts for.,
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 6
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Using 64 kbps, the average usage is @ 230 megs for 1 hour of streaming - on 3G.

On WiFi the usage is nil.

If you increase the stream, you'll increase the bandwidth.

Mike

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 2 fei
I'm a Contributor Level 2

many of the local stations have multiple streams when youre using tunein for the most part they either have 24k / 32k / 64k / 96k

you can change between them by opening a channel first scrolling down to choose stream. the percentage to the right of each stream is the reliability/up time that the stream has. obviously the low bitrate streams have lower quality but if you're having trouble staying under your data limit its very helpful

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 6
Solution

Hey community!

Although this thread's an older one, I thought I'd provide an update Smiley

If you're ever wondering how much data an app or feature can use, I suggest checking out our data calculator over here

This cool little tool can help you get an estimate on how much data certain things will use up, it's a great solution for a situation just like this one! 

Hope this helps Very Happy

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 6