Quick Question

I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

Quick Question

If I access the My Account option on my phone while in the US (with no data travel pack), will that incur the 7.99/50MG charge?

Thanks in advance Smiley

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Quick Question

Hey everyone!

I know this thread is a bit old but I would like to provide some updated information and clarification about this in case anyone else were to have a similar inquiry in the future. Smiley

Wufai is correct. If you use the My Account application while roaming outside of Canada to track your usage and such, the use of the application will be subject to the standard roaming rates if you have not added a travel pack which includes data. For example, $7.99 per 50 MB used per 24 hour period for data roaming in the US. 

If you have received the welcome text while roaming on a foreign network and access the My Account portal through the link provided in the text to add a travel pack to your line, this use will not be subject to any data roaming charges. 

Hope this helps! 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 7
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

Yes, becuase it is using wireless data.

Anything using data, e-mail, weather app that uses data will trigger the $7.99/50MB charge in the US. If you use an Andriod 4.1 phone you can set it to disable any sort of wireless data when roaming is detected.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 7
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

I don't have a smart phone. I have a beat up old LG Optimus that I have to buy a data day pass for if I want to get on the internet. I tried telling that to the CSR the other day. He essentially told me I was A) lying about my usage and B) I must have internet access and to go into my settings, select wireless connections and turn it off. Kind of hard to do when I don't have wireless connections in my settings. I told him this also and he again told me I was mistaken, I must have them because I accessed the internet while I was away. He also told me my phone likely roamed for app updates and I didn't know it. How can it look for app updates when I have ZERO apps on my phone. I finally gave up and told him I would look for those settings, knowing full well I wouldn't find them. He seemed satisfied that he had chastised me enough for knowing nothing about my own phone. Silly me...so now I have a $15.98 charge on my invoice and no idea why.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 7
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

I did a search for 'LG Optimus' on google and found out there are over 50 models in the market. All of which can be classisfied as Smartphones.  I have to agree with the CSR here, you have purchased a phone without knowing how to use it (in this case turning off roaming data). I cannot help you since I don't know the exact model of the phone. But I do agree that you should be responsible for your phone. I am sure you can find the setting on the interent if you look hard enough.

Word of advice, some old smartphones using specific OS might not have these settings. Its your job then to know about it and either don't take your phone when roaming or pay the fees.  If that is your case I would suggest you to just upgrade your phone that gives you more control of your phone.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 7
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

Under Settings:

Profiles

Phone

Screen

Call

Connectivity

Security

Date & Time

Memory Info

Reset Settings

I chose Connectivity since it seemed the most logical option.

Bluetooth

USB Connection Mode

Network

Internet Profiles

Access Points

Packet Data Conn.

I checked all of the above.  Nowhere does it say anything about roaming data. 

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_gw300-2918.php

Here is a link to my phone.   I am responsible for my phone.  Do us both a favour and do not make assumptions about my intelligence, please and thank you.  Shall I critique your spelling and grammar for you?  I have had this phone for over 2 years now...I'm fairly confident I know how to use it.  And this isn't the first time I've taken it across the border. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 7
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

Sorry if my previous post gave you any offence. English is not my first language and indeed my grammer needs improvement.

Base on your new infomation about your phone model is GW300. I did some google fu and found a bit more information for you. Your phone is indeed an old smartphone but it still has capaibilities to access the Internet through GPRS (2G) and functions to use internet data (MMS, WAP/ HTML browsing).

Here is the setting to turn of GPRS for your LG GW300:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8178370_activate-gprs-gw300.html

• 1- Press the "Menu" button on your LG GW300 cellphone.
  • 2- Press the "1" button on the phone's keypad to access the Settings  menu.
  • 3- Press the "8" key on your phone's keypad to access the Packet Data Connection  settings.
  • 4- Select the "On" option to activate GPRS on your LG  GW300.

Like I said before, your phone is old and doesn't have a setting to turn off data DURING roaming. It only has setting to either turn off all 2G data or turn on data, regardless of roaming or not. Newer phones however do have this function.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 7
Fido Employee Amanda1
Fido Employee
Solution

Hey everyone!

I know this thread is a bit old but I would like to provide some updated information and clarification about this in case anyone else were to have a similar inquiry in the future. Smiley

Wufai is correct. If you use the My Account application while roaming outside of Canada to track your usage and such, the use of the application will be subject to the standard roaming rates if you have not added a travel pack which includes data. For example, $7.99 per 50 MB used per 24 hour period for data roaming in the US. 

If you have received the welcome text while roaming on a foreign network and access the My Account portal through the link provided in the text to add a travel pack to your line, this use will not be subject to any data roaming charges. 

Hope this helps! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 7