News and Weather widget on Android phone

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 2 Car48
I'm a Contributor Level 2

News and Weather widget on Android phone

Is the News and Weather widget on the Android phones free to view? Or does Fido charge a data fee for this. It showed up on my new phone without me being asked if I want to pay for this service. It has the local weather forecast and news headlines. Fido told me to disable it if I was concerned about data fees but they couldn't tell me if this widget was being charged a fee. I disabled "Use Packet Data" and it disabled the widget. When I did a test and tried to turn it back on, I got a message "Connecting may incur additional charges". Is Packet Data related to running this widget?

Accepted Solution

Re: News and Weather widget on Android phone

Hey everyone!

Although this thread is quite old, I'd like to add a little update since I came across it. News and weather Widget or any other widgets from any Android device are completely free to use, but bear in mind that most Widgets need access to the Internet to work therefore you will incur data usage which can lead to go over your data allocation thus be charge for all data overages if any.

Most Widgets data usage are very low but the Use of WIFI from not wanting to use the Mobile Data access can definitely help to keep from reaching and accumulating data overage charges.

Hope this helps!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
I'm a Participant Level 3 pkramsay
I'm a Participant Level 3

Unless you were connected to the Wi-Fi at the same time, I am pretty sure it would have used data. The first thing I did before switching on my handset was to call customer service and ask to block my data access. Anyway, I think you should check your data usage under your usage details section in your account.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

you gotta stop the data services if you don't want your widgets to use the data. That way you can use those widgets when your on wifi.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
I'm a Contributor Level 2 Car48
I'm a Contributor Level 2

No data usage was recorded on my account. Fido says that data passes or data add-ons are required to browse the internet without wi-fi. Otherwise, I cannot access the internet, email or use data-using applications. But the weather widget shows up so if this is a data-using application, I'm not sure why I can access it since I didn't buy a data pass or add-on.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5
Fido Employee fidoOlivier
Fido Employee
Solution

Hey everyone!

Although this thread is quite old, I'd like to add a little update since I came across it. News and weather Widget or any other widgets from any Android device are completely free to use, but bear in mind that most Widgets need access to the Internet to work therefore you will incur data usage which can lead to go over your data allocation thus be charge for all data overages if any.

Most Widgets data usage are very low but the Use of WIFI from not wanting to use the Mobile Data access can definitely help to keep from reaching and accumulating data overage charges.

Hope this helps!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5