Does Fido pre-installs apps on the Android phones it sells?

I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

Does Fido pre-installs apps on the Android phones it sells?

So I was browsing through the Google Play store, and I looked at the Fido apps (Fido Navigator, Fido App Zone, Fido My Account). I have no desire to install any of those applications, but I was curious as to what the reviewers said (which did confirm that I don't want those applications).

I was surprised to read reviews like: "Should NOT come installed on the phone" and "you can't uninstall it from the phone". That last one is from 3 days ago. I have 2 phones purchased through Fido (Nexus 4, Nexus 5) and none of them has carrier-installed apps.

Does Fido pre-installs apps on the phones it sells? Is the Nexus line immune to this pre-install?

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Does Fido pre-installs apps on the Android phones it sells?

Hi Everyone, 

Sorry for the late response on this, we wanted to receive confirmation. All new Android devices except Nexus phones should now come preloaded with the apps and it should not be possible to remove them. 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 13
Former Moderator FidoMatt
Former Moderator

Hi there,

I know that the LG G3 comes preloaded with the apps but I am not sure for the other phones, I will find the information and come back with the answer. 

- Mathieu

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 13
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

So:

Nexus 4 & 5: no

LG G3: yes

Anyone else with another phone care to let us know if his/her phone came with pre-installed apps?

Thanks!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 13
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

the Samsung Galaxy S4 I just got from Fido has the Rogers apps preinstalled

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 13
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Automagic
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I got the G3 from Fido, and it comes preloaded with 4-5 Fido apps. However, they are all erasable. I only kept the myaccount Fido app to view usage and pay my bill.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 13
I'm a Contributor Level 1 bugdroid
I'm a Contributor Level 1

My S5 has the Fido apps installed. nd no i cannot uninstal them.  I got my phone a few months ago.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 13
Former Moderator FidoMatt
Former Moderator
Solution

Hi Everyone, 

Sorry for the late response on this, we wanted to receive confirmation. All new Android devices except Nexus phones should now come preloaded with the apps and it should not be possible to remove them. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 13
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

Thanks everyone!

Looks like one more reason (for me) to stick with Nexus devices! Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 13
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Nexus is "pure Google" and not subject to bloatware from any ISP. They also come unlocked to any carrier. These two features make the Nexus phones very attractive. You can root your Android device if you really want to uninstall the Fido added bloatware OR if that is technically not feasible you can force stop the app then hide it. It's not the same as uninstalling it but these are rather tiny apps to begin with.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 13
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2 vmanzano
I'm a Participant Level 2

I know that this is a couple of years down the road but how is possible that I bought an unlocked phone, I had it ready for just inserting the fido SIM card. When I did it automatically RESET the phone, deleted everything I already installed and restarted with the FIDO My Account and an Amazon App that I DIDN'T AUTHORIZED to install on my phone. 

I don't even think this could even be legal at all. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 13
MVP
MVP

Hello Vmanzano,

Welcome to the community!

What phone do you have? Generally, Canadian Samsung phones (purchased from carrier or direct from manufacturer) undergo a process called SIM Profiling once a SIM is first inserted (see here). Those apps are included during the installation of the carrier software environment. The same profiling would have occurred if any of the other Canadian provider SIMs were first used in the phone. In those situations, other apps would have likely been included.

If you don't have a Samsung phone, it's likely some of the other manufacturers also include similar SIM profiling processes during initialisation.

As far as I am aware, it is only the phones from Google which do not undergo the process.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 13
I'm a Participant Level 2 vmanzano
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi cawtau!

You got it right, is a Samsung. I'm shocked, because if I want all of this software to be part of my phone I'll buy the phone from the Network (in this case Fido), what will be the point of buying a phone unlocked if I have exactly the same kind of apps that I want to avoid in the first place?

Also, what if I change the network? It will automatically delete everything I have without even asking? It doesn't make any sense to me. I guess I'll stop tomorrow and return the phone and get it from Fido. 

Thanks for your help!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 13
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

Technically, as of December 2017, all cellphones sold in Canada are required to be sold unlocked as per CRTC Wireless Code. From a pre-installed app perspective, there is no benefit of getting the phones direct from manufacturer.

@vmanzano wrote:..Also, what if I change the network? It will automatically delete everything I have without even asking?..

According to the Samsung page, if you change your carrier and SIM card, SIM profiling will not occur any more. Carrier specific software/app will not be configured, as it has already been installed with software environment from first SIM card insert. I'm not sure whether SIM profiling will occur after a factory reset, though.

If you are able to return your phone, one benefit of purchasing from the carrier (Fido, in this case) is that you will be able to avail of certain services (ie Wifi-calling and/or voLTE) with said carrier. Devices purchased from other carriers or direct from manufacturer won't likely have access to those services.

Hope this helps 😀

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 13