Do I need a data plan to be able to get Whatsapp on my LG Optimus L3 if I`m using my home WIFI?

I'm a Participant Level 2 JNT
I'm a Participant Level 2

Do I need a data plan to be able to get Whatsapp on my LG Optimus L3 if I`m using my home WIFI?

Hi,

I just got an android phone LG Optimus L3 and I have the CityFido Unlimited plan ( no data plan).

I was wondering if I would be charged any fees for connecting to my home WiFi and downloading Whatsapp?

I tried to download it while connected to my WIFI and I got a message saying : "You must add an account to the device to continue. Do you want to add one now?"

I clicked YES and  tried to sign into my Google account and, I when I tried doing that, I got a message saying: " Your phone needs to communicate with Google servers to set up your account. This may take a few minutes."

After loading for a few minutes, I got the following message: " Can`t establish a reliable data connection to the server. This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services. If continues, call Customer Care."

Does this mean that, I can`t download Whatsapp without setting up a Google account?

And even if I`m using free WIFI to download Whatsapp, a data plan is required to be able to set up a GOOGLE account  ?

Thanks,

😃

Accepted Solution

Re: Do I need a data plan to be able to get Whatsapp on my LG Optimus L3 if I`m using my home WIFI?

Hey JNT!

In order to download an application via the Google Play store, you first need to set up your Google Account on your phone. Once that is done, you will be able to download and install Whatsapp on your device.

To be able to set up your Google account, you require a working data connection, either via WiFi or via our network. According to the error message you got, it seems that your WiFi connection was not working properly, hence your issue.

I would suggest that you make sure that the WiFi connection is set up properly. Also, you may test it by trying to browse. If you are able to browse, try again to set up your Google account. If you are still experiencing issues, I would suggest that you try a different WiFi connection.

Let us know!
View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 3
I'm a Participant Level 2 JNT
I'm a Participant Level 2

Re: Do I need a data plan to be able to get Whatsapp on my LG Optimus L3 if I`m using my home WIFI?

Anyone knows?
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 3
Former Moderator FidoJudhy
Former Moderator
Solution

Hey JNT!

In order to download an application via the Google Play store, you first need to set up your Google Account on your phone. Once that is done, you will be able to download and install Whatsapp on your device.

To be able to set up your Google account, you require a working data connection, either via WiFi or via our network. According to the error message you got, it seems that your WiFi connection was not working properly, hence your issue.

I would suggest that you make sure that the WiFi connection is set up properly. Also, you may test it by trying to browse. If you are able to browse, try again to set up your Google account. If you are still experiencing issues, I would suggest that you try a different WiFi connection.

Let us know!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 3