(Dictionary updating) app is continuously on my Android- Samsung Galaxy Nexus

I'm a Participant Level 3 PLORGO
I'm a Participant Level 3

(Dictionary updating) app is continuously on my Android- Samsung Galaxy Nexus

For weeks now my cell phone a (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) Google based has been trying to download via the download manager something called (dictionary updating) but it never finishes this download. The only way to make make this notification go away is to go to settings ,apps, and then click on force stop. Then click on disable download manager. Doing this is only a short term fix and doing this makes it  so I can not do any of my updates to the download manager being disabled. As soon as I enable the download manger again  though back comes the annoying dictionary updating notification and it begins again to succeed in downloading! I believe this dictionary updating thing is associated with googlekey board but I am not 100% certain of this. I never requested to download this nor did I give it permission to and when I look at that it says automatically downloads and there is no place to change persmissions etc !! Its driving me batty. I have noticed it will finish downloading is if I go somewhere like to a hot spot and turn off my data and use Wifi to finish the download. Once I turn my data back on boom its there again the minute I try to do any thing on my cell phone. My husband is having the very same issue on his cell phone which is the same make as mine. Many other people that we know of using Android cell phones are too. I have tried to research solutions online without much success. Most forums just say that the reason this is hanging and not  finishing downloading or updating or what ever is due to the service provider blocking the download  perhaps and that is why going on Wifi will allow it to finish which is what is happening however it comes back again in a day or two after doing this ! I have been doing the force stop through settings but that's just a quick fix unless you disable the download manager which is not good because like I said I then am not able to get updates for all my other phone apps doing this ...HELP!!! This is to the point where I am really reaching out of frustration here !  Perhaps someone on here reading this has had this issue and resolved it and can offer some help thanks ! The only other option I have it seems is throwing this cell phone out the window!!! 

Accepted Solution

Re: (Dictionary updating) app is continuously on my Android- Samsung Galaxy Nexus

I cannot clear the data from the dowload manager as its one of Andriod operating system files with the green monster icon so I was told never mess around with any of those files or apps on my cell phone but yes  I just went to the dictionary provider app and clicked on the clear data on it  and cleared it ! Now I will  wait to see I guess if the darn dictionary updating thing comes back ...thanks for your help and your patience Megan and every one else that has been trying to help me with this issue ! Must appreciated! I  came here to this forum after posting to the fido facebook page today and they sent me the link to this forum which I never even knew existed and I have had my fido phone for almost 4 years now Smiley I am a newbee so I am sorry if I created an account here in haste and may not have done things to protocol and if that happened I appoligise for that !  Good night and I will be back one way or the other if the dictionary updating things returns or if it doesnt which I hope it been solved !! 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 9
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

Re: (Dictionary updating) app is continuously on my Android- Samsung Galaxy Nexus

From a quick search on Google:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/545085-why-am-i-unable-download-dictionary-update-info...

Rather than force stopping the download manager, try clearing it's cache. Seems to be working in the thread pointed above.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 9
Highlighted

Been there done that numerous times and it doesnt make a hill of beans different wise . Like I said I googled this situation and tried everything I saw that was relevant but to no avail. I never ever and I stress this I never gave this disctionary udating thing permission to auto download or try to and i never ever installed this app or what ever it is on my Android cell phone but I know this all started happening after an update came for the google keyboard and that is why i am suspious that this  dictionary updating things is part of google keyboard so I even uninstall google keyboard and went with just the Andriod keyboard but the same thing happens!! Its really peeving me off as when it tries to do the dictionary updating its using up data and its also draining my battery life big time and my cell phone is almost 4 years old now and I do know my cell phone like its a part of me after having it all this time so i know I didnt not request this dictionary updating thing to be on my cell nor did it give it or would i allow it to have exclusive rights to auto update on its own and there is no way to change that setting on it either and its priveleges are nuts what it has access to do on my cell so i want this situation recified ASAP as I hate having things not working on my cell properly!! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 9
Former Moderator FidoMegan
Former Moderator

Hi PLORGO! 

Have you tried to uninstall the dictionary app? Have you also tried clearing the data from the download manager not just the cache? 

Let us know! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 9

There is no way to un install the dictionary app etither from my cell phone or via the google play store which on the google play store it doesnt even show up as an app that i have on my phone in my apps area or ever downloaded in that area nothing shows at all for it ?? I never installed it so it has to be a part of some other app on my cell phone which i think its bundled with google keyboard?? I do not read books and have no apps for that loaded so its not associated with that sort of thing and I do not have other keyboards installed other then the Andriod keyboard that came bundled with my cell and the google keyboard since my cell phone came pre bundled with Google apps as part of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone partnered with Google with this phone I assume so that is why nothing on my cell phone that is google based can be deleted eiter or at least when I try its tells me is part of the cell phone and if i delete or atler any of it it will cause my phone to be unstable or other apps not to work properly. This dictionary updating alert i get which shows the dictionary trying to dowload is a program that is not a google or on an Andriod operating system file or app so it has a Clear Data i can click on but when i click on it it says : All this apps daa will be deleterd permanently, This includes all files settings accounts and databases etc ....is this going to cause my cell phone to become unstable or not work properly if i clear the data from the Dictionary provider??? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 9
Former Moderator

Hi PLORGO! 

If you can't delete the app , then it is  pre-downloaded app on the phone. You won't be able to remove it.

That notification you are receiving when you click on "Clear data" is just advising you that it will clear all the data from that specific application. It should not cause your phone to become unstable in anyway. You'll receive this notice when you try to clear the data from any app. 

Can you clear the data and let me know if that solves the issue? 

Thanks! Smiley 

- Megan 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 9
Solution

I cannot clear the data from the dowload manager as its one of Andriod operating system files with the green monster icon so I was told never mess around with any of those files or apps on my cell phone but yes  I just went to the dictionary provider app and clicked on the clear data on it  and cleared it ! Now I will  wait to see I guess if the darn dictionary updating thing comes back ...thanks for your help and your patience Megan and every one else that has been trying to help me with this issue ! Must appreciated! I  came here to this forum after posting to the fido facebook page today and they sent me the link to this forum which I never even knew existed and I have had my fido phone for almost 4 years now Smiley I am a newbee so I am sorry if I created an account here in haste and may not have done things to protocol and if that happened I appoligise for that !  Good night and I will be back one way or the other if the dictionary updating things returns or if it doesnt which I hope it been solved !! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 9
Former Moderator

Welcome to the community PLORGO! Smiley 

Please keep up posted if the issues comes back! 

- Megan 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 9

Thumbs Up! by cradet By Golly I think it worked ....no more annoying dictionary updating notification constantly trying to finish an update as of last night. And...I do not even have my download manager disabled anymore which when it was enabled the dumb dictionary updating notification would be showing up !!  So.... clearing the data from both the download manager and the dictionary provider seems to have cured the issue I waa having  ...banging on head (knocking on wood) both most of all crossing fingers  Very_Happy  Thanks!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 9