Data usage of "Whatsapp"

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2 jonseattle
I'm a Participant Level 2

Data usage of "Whatsapp"

I just got a prepaid 100 MB data plan.  After just one day of usage, pretty much only using "Whatsapp" on an Iphone, I'm showing usage of 31MB of data.  This sounds like a ton!  What else would cause me to be using so much data?

Thanks

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Data usage of "Whatsapp"

31MB is actually very little data. This could have been caused by browsing just a few web pages, views a short video, receiving a bunch of large emails, downloading a few apps, etc. Whatsapp will use very little data unless you are receiving multimedia content in the messages, like pics or video.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
I'm a Participant Level 2 jlwasmer

iPhone uses data for many things in the background... even if you don't browse websites or check your emails

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
I'm a Participant Level 2 jonseattle

Like what?  Is it stuff you can turn off?  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

Actually, there is very little that the iPhone does in the background that uses network data. The main one would be email. You can disable push email and set your email accounts to use manual pull email if you don't want this usage to occur over the network. There are a few other OS processes that run in the background that might use network data, but they won't use much. This would include things like receving iMessages and push notifications and these can be disabled. Some apps are able to maintain a network connection in the background (VOIP, music streaming mainly). VOIP usage hardly any data unless you are on a call and music stream only uses data while you are listening to the music.

Android on the otherhand can use tons of data in the background as any apps can utilize data in the background where you are aware or not.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2
Solution

31MB is actually very little data. This could have been caused by browsing just a few web pages, views a short video, receiving a bunch of large emails, downloading a few apps, etc. Whatsapp will use very little data unless you are receiving multimedia content in the messages, like pics or video.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation