cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data bytes question

FantasyLied
I'm a participant level 2

I have an internet limit of 250 Go per month with my ISP and im near my limit but would wish to download a game on my computer, if i activate data bytes on my smart phone can i hotspot wifi, connect to my computer and use the data bytes for my download on my PC to download the game for an hour? thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello FantasyLied,

Welcome to the community!

It would depend on the size of the game you're wanting to download. You can certainly wifi hotspot or tether your computer to your smartphone, however, the maximum data speeds are reduced to 3.8 Mbps (for both download and upload) while tethering (see here). Online bandwidth conversion charts suggest the theoretical maxmium download would be approximately 1.7 Gb for a tethered Data Bytes session.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FantasyLied

Thanks for your answer! the game is about 40Go, i would use the full hour to download as much as possible. if i made the math, i should download around 13 gb or so.. would that be around that?

Hey @FantasyLied!

If it's uninterrupted at full speeds of 3.8Mbps (signal strength could have an impact) then your calculations are correct. It would be about 13.6GB downloaded Smiley

Hope that helps!