Charged for Long Distance using WhatsApp

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1 locktan
I'm a Participant Level 1

Charged for Long Distance using WhatsApp

I am changing to another service provider because Fido has charged me for long distance call when I am using WhatsApp. Although the call through WhatsApp did not connect, I was still charged. Have been Fido customer for more than 15 years.

locktan

Accepted Solution

Re: Charged for Long Distance using WhatsApp

Hello Locktan,

Welcome to the community!

The issue you've mentioned isn't the fault of the mobile providers. It happens across multiple providers. WhatsApp seems to be the culprit. While it's not mentioned on their website, it appears as though the app will automatically switch to using mobile airtime minutes if it deems the internet connection is too slow for voice calls (see here and here).

One suggestion (from the latter link) would be to enable Airplane or Flight mode and manually enabling Wifi prior to making the call(s). Doing so should prevent the app from switching to mobile services if the Wifi internet connection is not sufficient. However, it also means that you wouldn't be able to make WhatsApp calls using a mobile data connection.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 3

Hey @locktan, thanks for reaching out to us about your situation! 

Thank you for being that long with us as we do appreciate it very much! I just want to start by mentioning that we do not support Whatsapp as it's a third party application and you had to put your cellphone number in that account to be able to place calls. 

As for long distance call, you can always add the Preferred International Rates to get the best rates for your calls. You can find more information here under the ''Long Distance'' tab: https://fido.ly/2vB0dli

We can definitely review your situation together and we'll do our best to assist you. You can reach out to us here or we can send you a PM on the Community, let us know what you prefer.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 3
MVP
MVP
Solution

Hello Locktan,

Welcome to the community!

The issue you've mentioned isn't the fault of the mobile providers. It happens across multiple providers. WhatsApp seems to be the culprit. While it's not mentioned on their website, it appears as though the app will automatically switch to using mobile airtime minutes if it deems the internet connection is too slow for voice calls (see here and here).

One suggestion (from the latter link) would be to enable Airplane or Flight mode and manually enabling Wifi prior to making the call(s). Doing so should prevent the app from switching to mobile services if the Wifi internet connection is not sufficient. However, it also means that you wouldn't be able to make WhatsApp calls using a mobile data connection.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 3