cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new phone called Maze Alpha X and cant get 3G/4G or LTE for internet

Reddevilrooney
I'm a participant level 3

I have read stuff on freqencies but i dont really understand it.

Here are my phones specs..

2G: GSM 1800MHz,GSM 1900MHz,GSM 850MHz,GSM 900MHz 
3G: WCDMA B1 2100MHz,WCDMA B8 900MHz 
Network type: FDD-LTE,GSM,WCDMA 
WIFI: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac wireless internet 
Wireless Connectivity: 3G,4G,Bluetooth,GPS,GSM,WiFi 
4G LTE: FDD B1 2100MHz,FDD B20 800MHz,FDD B3 1800MHz,FDD B7 2600MHz,FDD B8 900MHz

Should be be able to get  3G/4g LTE on this phone?

When i go to the APN I see a bunch but when i switch to any i still dont get 3g/4g just stuck on E

Can anyone help... i can give more information if needed.

7 REPLIES 7

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Reddevilrooney wrote:...

2G: GSM 1800MHz,GSM 1900MHz,GSM 850MHz,GSM 900MHz 
3G: WCDMA B1 2100MHz,WCDMA B8 900MHz 
Network type: FDD-LTE,GSM,WCDMA 
WIFI: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac wireless internet 
Wireless Connectivity: 3G,4G,Bluetooth,GPS,GSM,WiFi

4G LTE: FDD B1 2100MHz,FDD B20 800MHz,FDD B3 1800MHz,FDD B7 2600MHz,FDD B8 900MHz...

Hello Reddevilrooney,

Welcome to the community!

Judging by those specifications, that phone has all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G. Unfortunately, that phone does not have any compatible '3G' bands or frequencies. With regards to LTE, that phone only has one of the compatible band/frequency, band 7 or 2600MHz. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. While the phone should work on the LTE network, coverage depends on corresponding bands/frequencies on your surrounding cellular towers as not all towers use all bands/frequencies. You can get an idea of your area towers here.

So that phone will not be able to connect to the '3G' networks. However, it may possibly connect to LTE -- depending on your location. When you verified your APN, it should be using ltemobile.apn. You can verify those settings here.

Have you verified that the phone's network mode is set to GSM/UMTS(WCDMA)/LTE?

Since the phone's target market is not North America, you might consider trying to enable roaming and roaming data. Some phones from abroad think they are roaming even though they use a local SIM.

If your surrounding towers do not use band 7 (2600MHz), then unfortunately that phone will only be able to access the 2G networks (E or Edge).

**edit** Since that phone does not have any compatible '3G' bands/frequencies, you should note that there is a lot of unanswered speculation as to how long the GSM (2G) networks will be available. It seems inevitable that the GSM network will someday be decommissioned to re-farm the bands/frequencies. However, no one really knows when that might happen (see here)**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Reddevilrooney

Also becasue of the greate help i am going to try my best to contribute to this community from now on too.

Reddevilrooney

OMG so helpful and i dont know why but it wasnt making sense to me, but since you explained it all it does now.

Quick question i got my LTE to work on Fido, if i wanted to use my wifes sim for Rogers would i just replace the word "fido" in the MMSC and put rogers since its the same network??

Hello again,

Awesome!! That's great to hear!

Rogers also uses an APN called ltemobile.apn. However, their version of the APN has some slightly different settings for MMS to function properly. You can verify those settings here.

Fido and Rogers share their networks so the bands/frequencies are the same. You should note that while the phone may work on the LTE networks from the other nationwide providers, it would not work on their other networks as they do not have 2G GSM networks. That said, there may be some local networks which do offer 2G service (ie Ice Wireless, etc).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Reddevilrooney

So I have played with it for a day now and like you said the phoned goes from edge to 4g..staying on edge mainly around my house..but the weird thing my old samsung s5 when off wifi is always showing LTE..

How can that be?? 

Does the newer phone not have a poweful signal strength..am I missing something here

Hello again,

I assume your old S5 was purchased from North America. Long term evolution (LTE) tends to be a term mostly used in North America and refers to the fourth generation technology (4G). Other parts of the World tend to simply refer to the same technology as 4G.

Since the target market for your new phone is not North America, it's likely using the 4G symbol to represent being connected to the LTE network. You should be able to verify to which band/frequency your phone is connected under your phone's status. Alternatively, there are apps similar to LTE Discovery which should also provide that information. If your phone is connected to Band 7 (2600MHz), your phone is connected to the LTE network.

I understand that 4G is occasionally used to represent a data connection to the UMTS (WCDMA) network using the HSPA+ protocol. However, most phones which represent LTE as 4G usually use H+ when connected via HSPA+. In addition, I believe your phone is connected to the LTE network when it shows 4G because it does not have any compatible bands/frequencies to connect to the UMTS network.

**edit** On the other hand, if you're questioning why your old S5 tended to connect to LTE more than your new phone connects to 4G around your house, you should note that the different frequencies have different characteristics (see graphic here). Generally, the higher frequencies do not travel or penetrate as far as the lower frequencies. It's possible that your location is on the edge of band 7 (2600MHz) coverage. Your old S5 would have had access to the greater range of bands 4 and 17 (1700/2100MHz and 700MHz, respectively)**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Reddevilrooney

Also are the band frequncies the same for Rogers too??