Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Occasional Visitor
JUSTINCHAN
Accepted Solution

NEXUS 4 FROM FIDO... LOCKED OR UNLOCKED?

Please use plain text.
Bronze Veteran
credmau5

Re: NEXUS 4 FROM FIDO... LOCKED OR UNLOCKED?

There is no such thing as a locked Nexus device in North America. All Nexus's, from the original HTC Nexus all the way to the LG Nexus 4 are always unlocked.

That's what makes the Nexus special...it's the official Google phone and Google will not allow it to be locked.

Regards.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
jgreerj6

All Canadian Nexus phones from a carrier are locked. Buy your Nexus from the Google Play and it will be unlocked.
Please use plain text.
Bronze Veteran
credmau5

[ Edited ]

You sir, are incorrect. NO Canadian Nexus phones are locked. Ever. There is no such thing as a "Fido Nexus" or a "Telus Nexus". There is one model of Nexus sent to all carriers, and they're all factory unlocked.

Once again, do your research. Google will not allow carriers to lock their Nexus devices anywhere in North America.

Regards.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
PDW

definitely unlocked, I picked mine up yesterday
Please use plain text.
Visitor
Gagi

I was reading these forums to figure out if it's locked or not, and I just got mixed messages. So, I called Fido (611) and asked the representive, who told me it was locked; "All Fido phones are locked...". False!

Nexus 4 - UNLOCKED. I just got mine today, and tried it with Koodo and Telus SIM cards and it works (calls or data). Actually, the guy who sold it to me, also told me it was unlocked (which got me even more confused...).

Galaxy Nexus - UNLOCKED. I bought a Glaxy Nexus a bit over a year ago w/ Fido, and to my suprise, it's also unlocked!

Freedom - the reason why I switched from iPhone :smileyhappy:

Cheers,

D.

Please use plain text.
Former Moderator
FidoStephen

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

To avoid any more confusion, I wish to confirm that creadmau5 and PDW are correct. Nexus phones are not locked to a carrier.

Click on the thumbs up image description of the photo to like a post or a fellow member of the community.

And don't forget to click Accept as Solution in the options drop-down menu once you've received the answer you were looking for; it'll help our community grow stronger.

Cliquez sur l'image du pouce en l'air description of the photo pour signifier votre appréciation d'un message ou d'un autre membre de la communauté.

Et n'oubliez pas de cliquer Accepté comme une solution dans les options du menu déroulant, lorsque vous aurez obtenu la réponse que vous recherchiez ; cela renforcera notre communauté.
Please use plain text.
Bronze Contributor
ren596

Good To Know

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
VictoriaMike

Hi regarding an unlocked Nexus 4 that I bought from Google, I tried to add the a data plan to it (the 1 month trial using my Fido dollars) and although recieved confirmation and I seem to be able to connect to the network LTEMOBILE.APN I keep getting bumped to a page that asks me to buy a daily pass.  I called help and they tell me that I can't have data because I don't have a Fido Phone.  I seems to me that the hardware is the same whether I buy the phone through Fido or not so I should be able to use data.  Any advice?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mali

Hi,

I received my Nexus 4 from fido last month and it is locked to Fido. I tried different SIMs but it did not accept any other than FIDO so there is no such thing as 'UNLOCKED' handset if you buy it from a Canadian carrier. Cheers

Please use plain text.