Occasional Contributor
tomekkr

iPhone 4 (iOS 5.1) - 3G Internet stopped working

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me out.

Up until about a week ago my 3G internet worked fine, and then suddenly stopped working, for no apparent reason. I can still connect to the internet via wifi, however, if I turn wifi off, and turn 3G & cellular data on, then I can't connect to the internet. I see the 3G symbol, to the right of the Fido symbol and the bars, so I know that 3G is activated. I usually get 4-5 bars, and my reception is good. When I turn on Safari and type in a webpage, all I get is a spinning icon to the left of the 3G symbol that spins indefinitely, and no pages load.

Here's what I've done so far to try to fix the problem:

1) I took out the SIM card, placed it into another iPhone, and the internet pages on Safari loaded fine. I put it back into my iPhone, and the internet still didn't work

1) I've reset network settings multiple times

2) I restarted the phone a number of times

3) I backed up my phone through iTunes, restored it to its original settings, then restored it from the previous backup

None of these seemed to help. 

Any suggestions would be great!

Please use plain text.
Former Moderator
FidoJudhy

Re: iPhone 4 (iOS 5.1) - 3G Internet stopped working

Hello tomekkr!

From what you told me here, you have tried pretty much everything you could have tried. However, one thing I'm curious about would be: are your data services working through any other application? Although you are unable to browse via Safari, it is possible that you can still check your e-mails or access Facebook via the application.

Should you other data services work, the issue would be directly with Safari. At this point, I'd have to refer you to Apple for further assistance.

If all applications that use the internet are not working, I would suggest that you get the phone looked at. This can be done either directly via Apple or through Fido's Repair and Loaner service.

A representative will be able to look into it with you and if needed, he will also be able to send your phone in for repair.

To find the nearest store from you which offers this service, please click on the following link:

http://www.fido.ca/storelocator

Please make sure that you click on the check box next to Repair and Loaner service in order to only find the stores which offer it.

@ Community: Does anyone have any other idea?
Click on the thumbs up image description of the photo to like a post or a fellow member of the community.

And don't forget to click Accept as Solution in the options drop-down menu once you've received the answer you were looking for; it'll help our community grow stronger!

Cliquez sur l'image du pouce en l'air description of the photo pour signifier votre appréciation d'un message ou d'un autre membre de la communauté.

Et n'oubliez pas de cliquer Accepté comme une solution dans les options du menu déroulant, lorsque vous aurez obtenu la réponse que vous recherchiez ; cela renforcera notre communauté!
Please use plain text.
FidoStephen

Hey  tomekkr,

One thing I would try is to restore the phone and try using it before you restore it again from your previous backup. It may be a corrupt application that is causing this, and if you restore from the same backup, you will experience the same issue.

Click on the thumbs up image description of the photo to like a post or a fellow member of the community.

And don't forget to click Accept as Solution in the options drop-down menu once you've received the answer you were looking for; it'll help our community grow stronger.

Cliquez sur l'image du pouce en l'air description of the photo pour signifier votre appréciation d'un message ou d'un autre membre de la communauté.

Et n'oubliez pas de cliquer Accepté comme une solution dans les options du menu déroulant, lorsque vous aurez obtenu la réponse que vous recherchiez ; cela renforcera notre communauté.
Please use plain text.
Diamond Aristocrat
10yearfido

FidoStephen wrote:

Hey  tomekkr,

One thing I would try is to restore the phone and try using it before you restore it again from your previous backup. It may be a corrupt application that is causing this, and if you restore from the same backup, you will experience the same issue.

Unless the phone is jailbroken it is unlikely a corrupt app causing the problem (unless the problem is only with Safari, in which case it could be Safari) because of how iOS sandboxes apps and doesn't allow real backgrounding of apps. 

If the OP has tried a full reboot, that should have cleared up any transient problems. I know there was a problem a couple years ago with Fido's default iPhone APN causing iPhones to lose cell connectivity (though showing a connection) whenever the phone went from wifi to cell. Only a reboot or network setting reset would clear it up. The solution was to update the APN. Since the OP has done both, this is probably not the problem. 

I would suggest calling Fido and seeing if they can push down a new carrier config file to the phone. If that still fails then take it to an Apple store and have them run a diagnostic on it.

Feel free to click 'Accept as Solution' if I've answered your question. If you like my post click Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
tomekkr

The phone has not been jailbroken. I also tried shutting the phone off for 2 min, and then turned it on, and selected the Fido network manually. I updated to iOS 5.1.1 update yesterday. Sadly, none of these seem to help.
Please use plain text.
FidoStephen

Hey tomekkr,

Sorry to hear that the issue is ongoing.

Would you happen to know another Fido customer with an iPhone4 or 4S? If so, I'd suggest trying their micro SIM card in your phone to see if you have the same issue. If it works fine, I'd suggest calling our technical support team to review your account, and if all is fine then we would need to set you up with a new micro SIM. If you have the same issue, then I'd suggest bringing the phone in to an Apple store (would need to make a reservation before going - can be done online here). 

Hopefully this helps, and keep us posted!

And don't forget to click Accept as Solution in the options drop-down menu once you've received the answer you were looking for; it'll help our community grow stronger.

Et n'oubliez pas de cliquer Accepté comme une solution dans les options du menu déroulant, lorsque vous aurez obtenu la réponse que vous recherchiez ; cela renforcera notre communauté.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
aa_abdullah

I have the same problem. My iPhone is a factory unlocked and never been jailbreaken. Fido don't like to admit the problem. My best solution is to look for different carrier. I've got tired of this.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
TPEYYCYVR

@ aa_abdullah

I have an HTC Desire V (only 3G connectivity so I only get 3G data), I have the same issue of unusable internet.

My connection speeds are typically only around 60kb/s download and on one test, I managed to peak 90kb/s.

Fido told me that their typical download speeds on their 3G network is a very unimpressive 200kb/s.

I know more and more cell phones have 4G, but there are still lots of phones out there that don't have 4G connectivity.

Even the Nexus 4 which I was looking into doesn't seem to have 4G connectivity... Fido should really fix this issue.

Please use plain text.